Does your Desire lag sometimes?

Last Updated:

1. xed888

xed888 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,

Am new here so i'll say hello first!

I have a 2 week old Desire and its working fine but here are some niggles:

When i tap the back of the camera, theres a rattling sound. Is that normal? Does anyone else have that?

it seems like the desire is starting to lag. I dont use a task killer but there are times when i try to start the wifi widget it lags or when i use the google maps app, there is lag: it wont pinch and zoom quickly and scroll. Anyone know why or is experiencing the same problems?

Any suggestions as to why this is happening? HAve i got a faulty phone? a return to base, perhaps?

I have the following apps:

Linda file manager
    wikidroid
    appbrain
    spare parts
    barcode scanner
    london tube status
    rock player
    nimbuzz
    google search by voice
    dictionary.com
    london undergroind
    opera
    layar
    kindle
    bbc news
    movies
    shazam

I dont think this list is a long one by any rate so i dont see why the desire should lag at all if android auto manages its memory.

Please help.

Many thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

The rattle has been covered loads before, see the Encyclopaedia at the top of the forum. It's the autofocus mechanism for the camera, and is perfectly normal.

Google Maps lagging is most likely the network being slow rather than the phone, which will stop the maps loading quickly as the phone accesses the data. WiFi will always take a few seconds to activate as it has to set up the connection. Have you noticed lag anywhere else or is it just those two things?

3. seanxwong

seanxwong Well-Known Member

Taped, it rattles slightly. I can only hear that holding the phone so close to my ear. Its normal i suppose.

4. azz

azz Well-Known Member

Get a task manager mate.

5. laney88

laney88 Active Member

This...

When you start up the phone it will start most apps that you aren't even using which will be slowing down the phone.

Get yourself advanced task killer from the market and close down the apps you aren't using and you should see an improvement :)

6. Phenomenological

Most people never use a task manager and don't see any noticeable lag. In the majority of cases they really aren't necessary, and in a few cases they sit there and drain your battery. Just exit apps by clicking the 'Back' button not the 'Home' button and it puts them into a dormant state where they use a negligible amount of system resources.

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Don't bother with a task killer. But remember this device more resembles a PC than a phone. So reboot the phone once a week to keep it running fresh :)

8. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

I keep giving people this advice. i think the sooner everyone understands this is more like a pc that is also a phone then the quicker most people will see what needs to be done.

9. PARAD0X

PARAD0X Well-Known Member

As a punishment please write on a bit of paper 1000 times: THE DESIRE DOES NOT NEED A TASK MANAGER!

10. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

Just how do you close the Internet browser? I press back going through history and get bored before it closes, a long press just brings up separate history and still no way to actually close the app, only way out is to press home!

11. celticone

celticone Well-Known Member

Yep, the internet doesn't close when pressing back, I find it is always on unless i use my task killer to close it.

I'm fine with using a task killer despite what others have posted, I'm sure i read somewhere that Google plan to include a task killer in their next release (gingerbread android 3.0) but maybe that was just chatter on another forum??

12. xed888

Thanks to all who posted. I appreciate all the input.

@Phenomenological: Its not the lag from downloading the maps but from processing. e.g. i try swiping the map around but it doesn't respond immediately but there is a lag between the time i swipe and the map moving.

it has only happened twice and MAYBE while i was doing those things, there was something processing in the background. I shall try and see if it happens again.

I suppose the general consensus of the posters is that there isnt anything wrong with my phone?

Thanks

13. Phenomenological

Mine only seems to lag if I try to do something processor intensive (Eg maps) when an app is installing in the background or similar situations. Otherwise it's fine!

14. xed888

i think i discovered the problem. I think its HTC sense lagging. I wanna try and root it to Froyo but before i do, any suggestions as to why sense is causing it to lag?

15. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

I find a very noticeable and irritating lag going into "Manage Apps" and going back from there to the Home screen.

I do not have a lot of apps, have almost 90 MB free on phone. This happens every time I go to "Manage Apps".
    I haven't timed it but I'd say it take about 1 minute to load and the same exiting "Setting" to home screen.

Any thoughts?

16. Phenomenological

It'll inevitably lag a bit going into Manage Apps, it has to find all the apps, the associated icons, and find the file size of all the applications too. I don't think it should take a minute however.

Shofar likes this.
  17. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

I use the windows to close down. I open up a new window containing only my home page and press the cross in the corner to close all the others. Then you can exit out of your home page by pressing back only once.

JsT likes this.
  18. hanimal

hanimal Member

I had this before. By closing most of the apps with a task manager, it loaded a lot faster

19. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

Works a treat. Thanks.

20. OdiX

OdiX New Member

Hello guys.

Mine lags when switching between screens?Is it normal? :(

21. MrJingles

MrJingles Member

Not ever!! Fast and smooth...always.

22. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

Seriously. How many times?

This one issue makes we wish fervently for more severe Marketplace control.

I realize that it's personal choice but so many people (including me) made or are making uninformed decisions about f^#%ing task killers.