Does your email update reguarly??

Last Updated:

1. CarFanatic

CarFanatic Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have 4 email address on my phone, I have trouble with them updating. They dont stay current like my blackberry did. My aol account and gmail never seem to update. I set them to 5 min update and still nothing. Anyone else have this problem? They will update if I manually hit update.

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I've has that problem with the email app that on the home screen. My gmail icon usually shows up right away.

Anyone know how to set up some type of password when u hit the email icon? I just don't like the fact that if u push it anyone has access to your email.

3. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

My Gmail's worked fine, but I did have problems with the stock email app, were it was not updating. I called Samsung and they told me it was an AT&T issue and AT&T said it was a Samsung issue. Finally, I added my Yahoo account to it in addition to the original account. Suddenly it started working much better. I have noticed that I seem to get more email when I'm connected to 3G than wifi.

4. CarFanatic

so it sounds like its an issue then...

I also would like a password on the icon.

5. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

My gmail was working fine up to about two days ago. Now I have to manually check my mail.

6. CarFanatic

ya mine has gotten worse last couple days

7. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put this one samsung.

8. mercdizzle

mercdizzle Well-Known Member

the email client is TOTAL GARBAGE. Which really sucks, because a mobile device should have email nailed down. It's so crucial.

9. Virtual69

Virtual69 Member

Use maildroid, much better.

10. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Anyone know about privacy on the standard email icon?

11. CarFanatic

whats mail droid... I shouldn't have to download a program to just get email??

12. naxir

naxir Well-Known Member

I use gmail and it still works just fine for me.

13. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

You don't have to. The Captivate has a built-in email client.

However, nor should you be locked-in to only being able to use whatever stock email client comes with your phone, which is why Android users have several options for alternatives, such as MailDroid, K-9, etc. Some people are MailDroid fans. I personally use K-9. Many others are perfectly content with the stock app.

Choice is good.

14. odd_one33

odd_one33 Active Member

i always get new email, it comes in, but it doesnt tell me in the status bar, and the ringtone doesnt go off.

15. Sarius24

Sarius24 Well-Known Member

Mine work perfectly.

16. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member

I also use K9. I've tried different ones and keep coming back to this one. The stock one is crappy and never worked right for me.

17. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Well-Known Member

As I'm sure you may be aware of, the very best email to use with an Android phone is Gmail. I have five Gmail accounts coming into each of my Android phones and the Captivate and Galaxy SII I have both update quite reliably and fast. I have one Yahoo account which is much slower. I've tried a few others just to see what they are like, yet nothing beats Gmail.

If yours is not updating to your satisfaction I would highly suggest that you check all the settings to be sure nothing got disturbed. I've got a lot of Android phones and the only time I have experienced a delay with Gmail is when I inadvertently changed a default setting when I was initializing the phone. Once I went back in, found it and corrected it, my mail was just as fast and reliable as ever.

18. NatesMom

NatesMom Well-Known Member

I agree, Gmail is the most reliable especially if you have auto-sync on. Depending on my connection, I will get the email notify on my Android before my desktop.

One strange thing I noticed is if I have auto sync off (to save battery life), sometimes the stock email application will notify me before the Gmail client.

19. kcau

kcau Active Member

Ya, this seems normal on this phone for users mix and matching emails. I use an exchange server and 2 yahoo mails. In 3g mode ,as someone mentioned, it seems fine. When in wireless, intermittent. I expect its related to wireless going into "sleep" mode when the unit is off and not in use .... when turned on again it doesn't return from "sleep" .... therefore can't gather emails because its not actually connected (even though the wifi icon is green and implies it is up and running) .

So, click the wifi logo off, then on again and it seems to connect normally again.

I would suggest leaving it on 3g connect most of the time if you can .... try that.

KC

20. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Well-Known Member

An excellent solution for this is to uninstall the stock email client, it will no longer conflict and your Gmail will be even faster.

Cheers :)

21. sharkhark

sharkhark Well-Known Member

my email is the stock app and before 2.2 i had a few problems that i resolved eventually and i got notifications contstantly and quickly. but in 2.2 i had some of the same issues with password suddenly showing up that i had on 2.1 and yet even though i solved them i continue to get slow forwarding of emails lately even though it used to be good.
    i don't like gmail and have used yahoo for so long i am resistant to change. i really just want the stock one to work consistently because when it does work it does all i need.
    i absolutely hate the yahoo app so i am kind of stuck.

22. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

I have a Yahoo account and a Gmail account. I had no problems until two days ago. Now, I can't get ANY emails via my phone. I didn't change anything. What's up ATT?

23. nathanfooism

nathanfooism Member

in the past few days my gmail on my phone wont auto sync anymore. i have to manually refresh it to see if i have new mail. quite the bummer. ive checked all my settings and they r just like they have been for ages. it's quite frustrating to say the least. im wondering if it has something to do with the new version of the app. i cant remember for sure but i think i updated it not too long ago.