• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does your Nexus 4 slide off of flat surfaces?

I just came from a GN and I didn't anticipate how much I would miss the thicker portion of the phone at the base. I used it as a handle and a pivot point.

To address the slipping and to add some texture to help me grip...and to help me differentiate the front from the back in my pocket....I've added a small square of cloth band-aid material...not much more than .75" square...to the back of the phone, just above the LG logo.

this keeps it stationary and helps me stay a little more confident that I won't drop the phone while removing it from my pocket or handling it.

It's ugly but it works.

Have any of you used similar "fixes"?

Upvote 0
I still haven't taken the plastic screen protectors off mine (it's only been a month) so I haven't experienced Sliding Phone Syndrome .. yet.

I did read about SPS in reviews before I even got my phone and I didn't believe it - my missus has an iPhone4 which is also glass front and back, and it has never had the problem - but I guess it must be true .. whodathought ..?

Upvote 0
I still haven't taken the plastic screen protectors off mine (it's only been a month) so I haven't experienced Sliding Phone Syndrome .. yet. ...

I kept the original protectors on until the back one started peeling from in/out of the pocket. Luckily I already had the XOskins "full body case" (front/back wet-apply) and quickly installed those just before the bumper case arrived so I don't have the slippage problem, and still have a like-new product underneath the protectors.

Maybe I can get $550 for it on eBay after I acquire the next Nexus.

Upvote 0
I just came from a GN and I didn't anticipate how much I would miss the thicker portion of the phone at the base. I used it as a handle and a pivot point.

To address the slipping and to add some texture to help me grip...and to help me differentiate the front from the back in my pocket....I've added a small square of cloth band-aid material...not much more than .75" square...to the back of the phone, just above the LG logo.

this keeps it stationary and helps me stay a little more confident that I won't drop the phone while removing it from my pocket or handling it.

It's ugly but it works.

Have any of you used similar "fixes"?

I bought a Zagg invisible shield and installed the back only.

Upvote 0
I have had my Nexus 4 for a couple months now and today was the first day I thought I would look online about this problem I'm not surprised how many reports there are of similar issues my phone has fallen off almost horizontal tables at least 15 times now. 1 degree of angle is all it takes. This is bizarre but understandable considering the design. I only wish I had waited until now when they have a slightly adapted model to resolve these issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones