:) doesn't appear as an icon in txts

1. studmaster

studmaster Member

I've searched through the last few years of this forum and have found people with the same problem, but not a solution.

When people send : ) (minus the space), it shows up as txt instead of an graphic icon. Anybody know of a way to force Android (trying Go SMS) to show it as a smiley icon? Or any txting apps that will do this?

When people send :), it shows up as a graphic icon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Welcome to Android Forums. What phone and what app are you using?

... Thom
  3. studmaster

studmaster Member

Thanks! And sorry, I was going to put more details but forgot.

Google Nexus 4, Android Version 4.4.2
    Using Go SMS for txt as well as the native messaging application, both do the same.

Thanks!
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Welcome to the forums :)

I have moved this thread into the Android Applications forum since it's dealing with SMS applications and applies across all android devices rather than just the Nexus 4.

------------------------------------------------

You know I have never figured out a way to fix this, all I know is that some keyboard applications have defaults for smileys, like quick presses for smiley faces and :p face and such. You can use those instead of typing : ) or having to type :)

That's what I do, like Swiftkey has the preset faces that actually get turned into Emoticons.
  5. studmaster

studmaster Member

okay, thanks!

The problem being that's its nice to see the smileys when people send them too, rather than just : ) (minus the space in the middle)
  6. Digital Controller

Yeah I feel ya. I just don't know how to fix that specifically. You could try different SMS applications, if I recall correctly one of the popular ones had options to changing emoticons - meaning what it takes for certain smileys to be emoticons and which ones to not be.

I know I didn't like the little green android fellas so I decided against adding them in with this SMS app.
  7. studmaster

studmaster Member

Thanks, I know it seems trivial, just can't figure out why Android or the SMS apps haven't programmed for this simple smiley. A lot of people use it while texting. I have tried a few SMS apps, and they are the same. I'll look around at a couple more, but I don't want to lose features for it or anything. :)
  8. HighSierra

HighSierra Well-Known Member

Perhaps because :) could be just some (random:) text.

LOL. : ) :)
  9. Digital Controller

Okay I know that SlideMessaging allows you to choose what kind of emoticons you want to use, you could see if that also means changing the default emoticons - meaning what it takes to make each emoticon.

Otherwise it could be programmed into android like this, preventing regular applications without root access the possibility of changing this.
  10. studmaster

studmaster Member

That's interesting, I'll take a look into that!
  11. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

It's the display program that determines whether you see : ) or :). Some developers want to put in the translation routines, some don't. Since texting has now become international, and there are at least 2 distinct groups of emoticons in use (western smileys and eastern emojis) I think it's going to be a while before we see a single set of emoticons becoming universal enough that everyone drops the ability into a text dieplay program.
  12. studmaster

studmaster Member

It just seems like such a simply smiley that most people use, don't know why it's not included.