doesn't the lack of a D pad drive you crazy?

Last Updated:

1. jmz768

jmz768 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was going to go with a Droid X but ended up with the Droid 2 after finding it frustrating as hell navigating web sites. There's no way to accurately click on links unless you pinch zoom large enough and even then I found it difficult. With the Droid 2 I do most of my surfing in landscape mode using the arrow keys to navigate.

Anybody else not like the exclusion of a navigation pad trend we're seeing with new devices?

Advertisement
  2. jree

jree Well-Known Member

If you have a keyboard i don't know why they wouldn't include a d-pad. That was the one feature of my Cliq that I loved. A d-pad on a straight up touchscreen is silly though. I found with the galaxy s the touch screen is the most accurate even without zooming in. I didn't like the Droid X or the Evo's touch screen accuracy

3. jmz768

How is it silly? Go to a site like ESPN.com and try to navigate with just a touch screen. I'd lose it in a minute

4. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Yes, hate that there isn't a dpad or mouse thing on the DX. But, guess I can live with it.

5. jmz768

Are there any devices coming out in the near future with a 4" or larger screen with a D pad?

6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Just went to ESPN.com. They've got a mobile version of their site apparently. I could navigate it with no issues. I've never had problems navigating with my DInc.

7. jmz768

Go to the full site and try. Be sure to try an area where there are multiple links next to each other. Navigating mobile sites is obviously not a problem, full sites are a nightmare in most cases.

8. tom_pop

tom_pop Active Member

I find its alright the trackball does help but i hate using it

9. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

I have the d1 and I find myself using touch input pretty much whenever's I can...rarely do I find my d pad being used.

10. jree

jree Well-Known Member

I shoulda been more clear and said that it woulda been pointless to add a d-pad on a Galaxy S.

I found that double tap to zoom or even pinch to zoom on my Galaxy S was faster than clicking the d-pad on my Cliq to scroll to get to the link that I wanted to get to. And the only reason I had to use the D-pad on my Cliq was b/c that screen was extremely inaccurate and than stopped working all together.

Galaxy S has probably the most accurate multi-touch touch screen, so yes, I think that it would be silly if they added a d-pad to this phone.

On a side note, I just went to espn's full site and had absolutley no problem navigating through it.

11. jree

jree Well-Known Member

12. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I never have any problems on my Droid X. When I had my Droid I never even opened the keyboard to use the dpad. I visit a lot of full sites online, not just the mobile sites.