• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dog Days/Afternoons...

My pooch is having a busy day.
IMG_20170317_101052.jpg

Upvote 0
I have major medical, but I've always paid out of pocket for the dentist and eye doctor. Based on what I've paid to date .vs what I would have paid in premiums and deductibles, I'm pretty sure I'm way ahead of the game.

I figure between shots, exams and the odd injury or parasite, my three dogs cost me between $500 ~ $750 annually.

Now, I just looked up one of the most popular pet plans here and it covers 80% of costs with a $250 deductible ... and that is per dog. So, even at my high estimate, it costs me $750 annually anyway PLUS the $37.05 monthly premium per dog. That would turn my annual cost into at least $2,088.00 not accounting for 20% or whatever went past my deductible.

Now you understand why Hospitals and Insurance companies have buildings that look like palaces while we live in the dog house. ;)

Upvote 0
I have major medical, but I've always paid out of pocket for the dentist and eye doctor. Based on what I've paid to date .vs what I would have paid in premiums and deductibles, I'm pretty sure I'm way ahead of the game.

I figure between shots, exams and the odd injury or parasite, my three dogs cost me between $500 ~ $750 annually.

Now, I just looked up one of the most popular pet plans here and it covers 80% of costs with a $250 deductible ... and that is per dog. So, even at my high estimate, it costs me $750 annually anyway PLUS the $37.05 monthly premium per dog. That would turn my annual cost into at least $2,088.00 not accounting for 20% or whatever went past my deductible.

Now you understand why Hospitals and Insurance companies have buildings that look like palaces while we live in the dog house. ;)

Yup, I hear ya. Medical and insurance are great business to start up or work for. Oh yes, add betting shops into the mix too.
We'll see if the pet plan pays out for George's op. Maybe the fact that we've only been paying into it for 6 months may have some bearing on the decision.
But there's always a chance that some really expensive treatment is needed way down the line. Hmm, maybe I'd be better off putting the monthly premiums into a savings account? :thinking:

Upvote 0
But there's always a chance that some really expensive treatment is needed way down the line.

I know that there is always a chance that something happens or they get ill for the long-term. And, please don't think I am cruel or heartless, but in most of those situations, I think it's much more humane to put them down than to make them endure surgery or suffer lingering pain.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones