Doh! Bad luck with Google MapsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. captainm27

captainm27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So today I was using GoogleMaps and I noticed that when I kept going another way than what she wanted, the "Recalculating" took like forever! Almost a full minute. And after the next "skipping directions" I got a "No Data Connection Available" message. Does this mean I was outside of 3G range? And if so, does that mean that the built-in GPS device cannot be used without 3G? I had the feeling that the device was also a standalone GPS, but I'm beginning to think that it uses the 3G to draw the maps too. :( That stinks if you end up in the middle of the boonies with no signal and no way of getting home....

...anyways, the good news is that after driving for more than a mile, I seemed to be able to get a 3G signal back, and everything started working again.

Advertisement
  2. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

IIRC, you can stray outside of data range if you stay on the original route as GM will load what it needs when you start navigating. Since it does not know what detours you may take along the way, it doesn't load alternatives.

To be a dedicated GPS, the entire road network would need to be loaded in the phone all the time.

3. Blotto

Blotto Member

From what I've noticed it needs 3G to fetch the text directions from Google. The maps app then just displays the route to you. Maps uses the gps to track your location. When I have been without service the navigation functioned as it should. Although if you deviated from your route it wouldn't recalculate. It just zooms out and shows your location compared to the blue line you should be following.

4. captainm27

captainm27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm....ok, that's what I suspected. I think the whole data (or at least just roads) should be stored in memory just in case one does travel to the remote areas. I know that my last GPS software, iGuidance 4.0 shipped with a 2GB card that fit all their data. Maybe once GoogleMaps comes out of Beta they'll install it as part of the Android OS.

5. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor