• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Doh! T-Mob network Faster Than Sprint 4g

RoboMonkey

Android Expert
May 12, 2010
251551.jpg

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=376&p=2706

1) Source URL?
2) Not like I care. As of tomorrow I'm ditching T-Mo forever. I've loved them for a long time, but as soon as I got word straight from corporate that 3G was never coming to my area, not for another 2 to 3 years it was over.
3) As much a technophile/speedfreak I am, I doubt I'll care about this chart much, considering I'm coming from EDGE. *shiver*

Upvote 0
I just left T-Mobile to get the EVO and I'm extremely happy with my Sprint service thus far. I don't have 4G unfortunately, but I do have full 3G bars pretty at home and work.
I gave my brother my old phone (myTouch) and he is still on T-Mobile, so I will have to do a speed test comparison on our phones :)

Upvote 0
Once again. No, hspa+ is a lie. Just like calling wimax 4g is a lie. Hspa+ can do downloads to 21mbps. Evdo, can do downloads to 14mbps. Wimax can do downloads of 100mbps. Not a single one of them can really do that in real life. Period.

Let me try to explain. (Trying to keep it simple. Do not want to get all geeky. Simple understandable language.)

Hspa+ has to offer 5mhz bandwidth to reach 7.1mbps. The total amount of bandwidth offered to hspa+, using everything is 15mhz. So if you want 7.1mbps, you can only have it if there is less then 16 (using modulation) people using your tower. If more then 16 people are using your tower, you need to drop to 2.5mhz, which will 48 people at 3.7mbps. Now if you have more then 48 people per tower you need to drop to the 1.2mhz which will support up to 96 people at 1.3mbps.

In real life, this would not really happen, you would get about 100 people connecting. Roughly about 4% will get the 7.1mbps, 23% will get 3.1mbps, and the rest will get less then 1.3 mbps. What does this mean? When you start to add people and people start to use the data, the traffic slows greatly. You get really good speed, when you are on the freeway with no one else, but once you start to add cars, the free ways slows down.

Now, take all that and add this mess. If you are walking with a hspa+ connection your speed is cut in half. If you are more then 1/2 the distance from the tower range your speed is cut in half. If you are traveling quicker then 25 mph, your speed is cut into 1/4.

So even if you do start to get a 7.1 mbps download, by walking you get cut down to 3.5mbps, then crossing the 1/2 mark you get cut down by 1.3mbps. And if you get into a car, you are cut down to 750kbps.

For about 75% of the average users, hspa+ will be no quicker then hspa. For 25% of the users, hspa+ will be twice as quick as 3g, 4% of the time.

Wimax will not play the same games as hspa+, it is alot more efficient and a lot more bandwidth.

Upvote 0
2) Not like I care. As of tomorrow I'm ditching T-Mo forever. I've loved them for a long time, but as soon as I got word straight from corporate that 3G was never coming to my area, not for another 2 to 3 years it was over.

Wow, that sux. Especially since they were "supposedly" upgrading their entire coverage area to 3G/3.5G, phasing out "Edge".

FWIW, I just got this last week in my area...hard to ween off these speeds for $10/mo., but I have trouble getting reception in some buildings in my town. I was able to stay connected while streaming an internet radio stream, and FM transmitter, on a trip from DC to Philly.

4675782397_dece270bdf_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4675782397_dece270bdf_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Wow, that sux. Especially since they were "supposedly" upgrading their entire coverage area to 3G/3.5G, phasing out "Edge".

FWIW, I just got this last week in my area...hard to ween off these speeds for $10/mo., but I have trouble getting reception in some buildings in my town. I was able to stay connected while streaming an internet radio stream, and FM transmitter, on a trip from DC to Philly.

4675782397_dece270bdf_b.jpg

Wow! And I broke my contract. :(
The HD2 did me in, why oh why did they have to sell a WinMob phone.

Upvote 0
Data standard related to what context? Do you mean handling the data from LTE towers?

Data for other uses besides cellular/data card uses.. LTE is focused on data for the cellular industry.. Wimax is going to be used for data outside the cellular industry..

Because of its use outside of just being a cell tech it will spread to other industries and uses making it available in many locations that LTE will not be.

Clear is already building a few wimax cities for local governments..

Most people also believe as ROI has said it will be use to backhaul LTE

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones