• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

garyhavener

Oct 28, 2011
When I bought my phone in October of 2011, it came with gingerbread 2.3.3. The battery life was terrible and the phone was hot without any use at all. Shortly after that, I got an upgrade to gingerbread 2.3.4. The upgrade corrected both problems. This week, my phone upgraded to 2.3.5. Once again, my battery life is terrible and my phone gets hot without any use at all. Is anyone else experiencing these problems? I did a cache clean after the new upgrade.

I read a few other people having that issue. I don't know what that is all about really.. but here are some suggestions. Since you have the update that can't be rooted directly you may have to get into some rooting and resetting your device back to 2.3.4

1) Back up your data, do a factory reset and wipe everything and give it a few days to see if you still have that issue. I would manually reinstall the apps instead of backing up app data, just to ensure a clean re-install.

If the problems still persist
2) Perform an SBF back to 2.3.4, Root and keep 2.3.4. (That's my suggestion, I think 2.3.5 is worthless.)
2a) While you're on 2.3.4 try CyanogenMod 7.2. It is the BEST and proven most stable ROM out there for the phone right now as MotoBlur is removed. Blur has proven to drag the phone performance down.
3) If you want to keep 2.3.5, Perform the SBF back to 2.3.4 and follow these directions to keep Root throughout the update process. Then I would suggest installing a custom ROM like Eclipse which is based on the 2.3.5 update and seems to be the best ROM for 2.3.5. Hopefully the developer accommodated for the battery issues in that one.

Upvote 0
I read a few other people having that issue. I don't know what that is all about really.. but here are some suggestions. Since you have the update that can't be rooted directly you may have to get into some rooting and resetting your device back to 2.3.4

1) Back up your data, do a factory reset and wipe everything and give it a few days to see if you still have that issue. I would manually reinstall the apps instead of backing up app data, just to ensure a clean re-install.

2) Perform an SBF back to 2.3.4, Root and keep 2.3.4. (That's my suggestion, I think 2.3.5 is worthless.)
2a) While you're on 2.3.4 try CyanogenMod 7.2. It is the BEST and proven most stable ROM out there for the phone right now as MotoBlur is removed. Blur has proven to drag the phone performance down.
3) If you want to keep 2.3.5, Perform the SBF back to 2.3.4 and follow these directions to keep Root throughout the update process. Then I would suggest installing a custom ROM like Eclipse which is based on the 2.3.5 update and seems to be the best ROM for 2.3.5. Hopefully the developer accommodated for the battery issues in that one.

Nitro didn't know about it until I pm'ed him. He said it was an easy fix. I told him I just used peppermints battery fix.

Also, battery life isn't bad, it just appears that way. If you reboot, it jumps up 5 to 10 percent but otherwise, I get pretty good battery life out

Here's the link to fix the jumping battery percentage:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1350336&highlight=battery+bug

As for it running hot, I only experience that when I'm running an app, usually a graphics intensive game. Otherwise, I don't have that problem. You might want to check and see if you have a running app or service that's making your phone hot. It might also be what is causing your phone's battery life to be bad.

Upvote 0
Experiencing a noticeably hotter battery with 2.3.5. I have uninstalled a few suspect apps like "no lock" and "battery circle" with no luck. As a prior poster mentioned, it seems to be partially associated with graphics display, especially heavy flash content. I reverted back to Adobe flash 10.2 but that hasn't relieved the problem much. I would attempt a root, but need to depend on the phone for sure. Have never attempted root so a bit skiddish, or would do that.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the reply!! The bad thing is the phone updated on its own. My battery will run down now in 6 hours with no use at all. I used to get 15-20 hours before the update to 2.3.5

Upvote 0
I hope this is the right place to put this. So, in addition to the wonderful battery life my phone now has (due to the update), I can't get an internet connection lock. My phone drops the connection frequently. When it does have a connection (wifi or 3g) the icon is white instead of blue (does this mean something? I could access the internet). Sometimes the connection is wifi and sometimes it's 3g and sometimes neither. My wireless router is solid and other devices have no problems connecting to it. My friend's dx2 became so unusable he had to have them ship him a replacement. In addition to his internet connectivity issues, his phone couldn't hold a charge. For example, within a few short minutes it went from around 80% battery life down to critical (beep, shut down). It had a hard time charging as well. So he got the 'new' phone (dx2), and it came pre-installed with 2.3.5. Battery life is better, but he can't get a internet lock either. I've tried messing with the sleep policies on the wifi, to no avail. But even if I turn off the wifi, the 3g still drops out frequently. Before 2.3.5, I had no problems with the internet connectivity. No rooting, roms, etc. have been done. All stock. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I hope this is the right place to put this. So, in addition to the wonderful battery life my phone now has (due to the update), I can't get an internet connection lock. My phone drops the connection frequently. When it does have a connection (wifi or 3g) the icon is white instead of blue (does this mean something? I could access the internet). Sometimes the connection is wifi and sometimes it's 3g and sometimes neither. My wireless router is solid and other devices have no problems connecting to it. My friend's dx2 became so unusable he had to have them ship him a replacement. In addition to his internet connectivity issues, his phone couldn't hold a charge. For example, within a few short minutes it went from around 80% battery life down to critical (beep, shut down). It had a hard time charging as well. So he got the 'new' phone (dx2), and it came pre-installed with 2.3.5. Battery life is better, but he can't get a internet lock either. I've tried messing with the sleep policies on the wifi, to no avail. But even if I turn off the wifi, the 3g still drops out frequently. Before 2.3.5, I had no problems with the internet connectivity. No rooting, roms, etc. have been done. All stock. Any ideas?

I updated to 2.3.5 last week and I have the same issues, both wifi or 3g will constantly go in and out. My phone was rooted before the update and somehow managed to stay rooted with my doing nothing. Since it is rooted I may try one of ROM's listed in the above posts!

Upvote 0
artaxerxes, mtbiker033

I've been having the same problem's lately it's a hit or miss. I'd be on a web page click a link and nothing.Trying to reload I looked up in notification bar 3g disappeared. Other time's it would go to 1x and go no-ware in both case's sometimes it would come back to 3g sometimes not, have to reboot. This started happening the last few week's. But guy's I have not updated to 2.3.5 still on 2.3.4.

I don't known were u guy's live I'm in Jersey (maybe it's not the update). Anyone else having these issues 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 chime in.

If this was Helpful hit the Thanks Button It makes me smile...:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones