dolphin 2.0

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by oceanlight, Jan 20, 2010.

1. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    USA
    dolphin 2.0 is out. it sports an updated look and seems to be a bit faster. what do you think?

Advertisement
  2. GolfnDroid

GolfnDroid Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Va
    Just took 2.0 for a ride and I agree the UI is better and it is way faster than last version. I was very close to switching to a different browser, but this might keep me around for a while.

Gestures are snappier

More google interface

3. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Norfolk, UK
    Have they sorted out Bookmarks? Is it possible now to export Bookmarks? I like using Stock Bookmark Widget on my Homescreen so would like them to show up there?

4. GolfnDroid

Nov 27, 2009
    Va
    So far I've only seen ways to import bookmarks from either Google or via http site so i'm thinking no export function.

5. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    VIP Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    I thought the Google bookmarks were synced

6. GolfnDroid

Nov 27, 2009
    Va
    You can sync and import from Google. I misspoke and misremembered:cool:

7. danlaw777

danlaw777 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Male

how do you import your contacts from google chrome on a pc?

8. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Larger tabs are nice as is the addition of forward and back arrows

9. GolfnDroid

Nov 27, 2009
    Va

I too like the larger tabs easier to get out of one tab to another. Forward button is nice. You still have to go through settings to make a site your Home but that's not a big deal for me because how often do you really change your home?

10. MotoAlex

MotoAlex Active Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Appears to be a lot faster than before and the UI is a bit cleaner.

11. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Agree that it's an improvement. Faster, better menu display and some nice new tweaks. Green/Gray interface may not be everyone's cup of tea, but 2.0 is a definite step forward IMO.

12. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Kansas, United States
    I'm not a big fan of it... To me it seems slower/laggier than main browser. I will stick with the default one for awhile :)

13. dunjamon

dunjamon Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I like the new interface, but the auto-fit still doesn't work on my Milestone.

:(

14. Simon S

Simon S New Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Tabs much better - try swiping left and right.

Simon

15. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To auto fit try lining up the edge of the text with the left side of the screen.

16. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Anyone found a quick way to refresh the screen? There doesn't seem to be refresh in the menu (hey, there's one empty spot :) ). I know I can longpress: page: refresh, but I think refresh used to be a Menu command.

17. rich_r

rich_r Active Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Refresh is up on the URL input line now. If you have tabs hidden then its a big harder to get to than I like. I preferred the refresh button in the menu.

18. turnerw

turnerw Active Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Military
    SC
    tried it but still not a smooth pinch/zoom experience. xScope is allot better IMO. but it does look good.

19. d1pham

d1pham Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I've been using this all morning. V2.0 is pretty nice. The browser is indeed faster. Still consumes a lot of power though.....

20. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Three things I've noticed:

When I use the hard search button from the homescreen it brings up the results in the stock browser even though I have dolphin set as default for everything.

There is much more lag when you view the bookmarks/favorites area, I think it's due to the slow loading banner ad at the bottom.

Last thing, for some reason I can not post on my 2nd favorite forum pocketfives.com, I used to be able to by clicking the html button, but now since the update I can't post! Sigh

21. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Does it still have ads? Is there a paid version? Its the reason I switched back to the default on my Hero.

22. dkokkos

dkokkos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Student
    Riverside, CA
    this is great... and yes it still has apps....

23. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Couple things that bug me about the update:

When I click a link from an email or something it replaces the last opened tab instead of opening a brand new tab. I still have the option checked to open new tabs in the background but this is different. No options exist and the previous version would simply open a new tab so you didn't have to worry about leaving the previous tab.

White bookmarks page background. I liked the black MUCH better. Easier on the eyes and easier on the battery.

No page up/down scroll bar?!? WTF? Who decided that was an unimportant item?

For some reason the browser automatically reset my option to hide tabs once loaded. Not a big deal to change back but at first I wasn't sure if it was something new to the browser or what.

Still seems to get hung up every now and then. You will try to load a new tab and the yellow progress bar will go to about 5% and then just sit there... not loading anything. This doesn't happen real often but when it does it's frustrating. Never experienced this behavior with the stock browser.

Also had a couple bugs involving pop ups and text fields of a site that I frequent. The previous version handled it just fine so I emailed the dev(s) to see if they can correct it.

24. alphabets

alphabets Active Member

Nov 23, 2009
    still cant figure out the refrsh thing. aggravated:mad:

25. celios

celios Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    UK (Scotland)
    Yeah, same here and for me when I go to a site from my bookmark list it always opens a new tab rather than loading the site in the current tab. This is the opposite of what I would want.

Agree on both points, the speed improvements are welcome, but the UI seems a little half assed.