• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dolphin Browser and Google Search

Apollos

Dec 1, 2009
I set Dolphin as my default browser.

If I use the Google search widget, it opens up the stock browser, then if I click a link, it opens the link in Dolphin. wtf?

How can I make the search default to Dolphin?

eta: what is the pay version of Dolphin and is it worth it?

Using dolphin also allows you to still view the notification bar while the stock browser doesn't. Dolphin also uses pinch to zoom if you're into that. I use dolphin just because of being able to still see my notification bar.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that with the pay version you just lose the ads and stuff? can't really see what else it could add that's missing.

Upvote 0
How so if you would like to explain? Never heard this before so...

Well the day I deleted dolphin, I decided to give the stock browser a shot and was able to use my phone all day and still had power left when I got home. I tried dolphin at some point in the day and could actually watch the battery level go down as I was browsing! That was enough to convince me it was the reason I was getting such crappy battery times.

Upvote 0
I set Dolphin as my default browser.

If I use the Google search widget, it opens up the stock browser, then if I click a link, it opens the link in Dolphin. wtf?

How can I make the search default to Dolphin?

eta: what is the pay version of Dolphin and is it worth it?

As far as I know that's how it is and unless changes are made the search widget and buttons it will always be that way. The paid version removes ads the developer has included into the free version.

I used to realy love Dolphin but over time I think the application went down hill. I went back to the stock browser and couldn't even contemplate going back to Dolphin.

Upvote 0
Well the day I deleted dolphin, I decided to give the stock browser a shot and was able to use my phone all day and still had power left when I got home. I tried dolphin at some point in the day and could actually watch the battery level go down as I was browsing! That was enough to convince me it was the reason I was getting such crappy battery times.
In other words, you have no proof other than your unscientific anecdotal evidence.

I definitely do not have a battery issue using Dolphin and I use it quite a bit throughout the average day.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can do that. There were a few things that irked me about the Dolphin browser and that was one of them (using different programs instead of just using Dolphin itself to open or view something). I didn't like not having an option to bring the bookmarks over from the standard browser over to Dolphin either.

I just wanna throw this out there, but Google Reader is the GOAT thing you can have if you read the news online. Set a bookmark on your home screen, subscribe to the feeds to the sites you like, and you've lost most of the problems you'll have with your browser. It's faster, neat and clean, and it's all in one place. Plus, you don't have to check to see if there's new stuff, it'll tell you.

Google's taken over my (internet) life, and I couldn't be happier.

Upvote 0
In other words, you have no proof other than your unscientific anecdotal evidence.

I definitely do not have a battery issue using Dolphin and I use it quite a bit throughout the average day.

hmmm, use dolphin all day have to plug in phone at 3pm, use stock browser plug in phone the following morning.

Utilizing scientific method I have determined that the only catalyst in this equation would be the use of dolphin, therefore I concluded that it drained my battery and my solution was to uninstall it and enjoy longer battery life.

It was a very scientific study, rife with possibilities to improve all of mankind! The grants were extensive.

Did you program Dolphin? Do you make money off of it? No? Get a life!

Upvote 0
I see. It seems like Dolphin has some good positives. I really don't do a lot of Internet surfing though since I'm almost always near a computer as it is, and I really hate having redundant applications on devices like this. I'd probably use Dolphin if I could remove the default browser.

It's a shame we can't get rid of the default applications. Google Talk would be gone, so would twitter, youtube, peep, teeter, stocks (since it apparently costs money, how stupid), etc.

Upvote 0
The only downside I see with the stock browser is that you have to clear the cache by going into the applications and waiting for those to load. Dolphin makes this much easier. My phone has been running with less lag because of this.

Actually, you can also tap menu, while in the stock browser, click more then settings and then clear cache history cookies etc. Its fairly easy and speeds things up to9

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones