Dolphin browser "fit to screen" doesn't.

Last Updated:

1. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks,

I'm using the Dolphin browser and just about my only grievance is that web pages are not fitting to the screen. I have to pinch every new screen. There's a setting for this, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Also, in the last update there was a note that this would be fixed in the update.
    Anyone else having this trouble, too?

Advertisement
  2. vaio

vaio Well-Known Member

Same here, if you want a ONE CULOM fit you have to hit the menu key than choose MORE than COMPACT PAGE. Wish it would just do this with all the pages!

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

It seems hit or miss with me. I had mostly kept it off until recently because it mad pinch zooming so harsh as it was bouncing text all over the place whole zooming. It seems much more stable to me now but still kinda hit or miss sadly.

It works pretty well on mobile sites (like m.en.wikipedia.org, m.google.com or even the mobile skin for this site, etc) for whatever that's worth. I've become quite appreciative of mobile sites lately actually.

4. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

fit to page is working perfectly for me in dolphin.I haven't had any problems with it.

5. Psychokitty

Are you looking at this site with it?
    If I'm on here, for example, every new page or refreshed page comes up larger than the screen.

What do you have for the following settings:

Setting / User agent

Setting / System setteings / Text size

Setting / System setteings / Text encoding

Setting / System setteings / Auto-fit pages

Setting / System setteings / Enable JavaScript

-Thanks

6. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Until I figured out how it works I had the same problem. It doesn't fit to page automaticly because when you zoom in on a picture it would move away when fit to page activates making it impossible to zoom in on a picture. In order for fit to page to work,first zoom in to the size you want the text, then drag the screen until the first letter of each line of text is flush with the left side of the screen. Then it will fit to screen perfectly every time. Hope that makes sense.

Now if only I could re-order my bookmarks in dolphin.

7. brandoshido

brandoshido Well-Known Member

i got rid of dolphin for this reason. stock browser is way better

8. alostpacket

Yeah I am posting this with my Droid. But I am using the mobile version of the forums (at bottom of page there's a dropdown, choose AF mobile).

The fit to screen is working except for a blue box on the top and the quick reply box. But all the important content is well fit.

My settings are:
    - auto hide tab bar
    - keep notification bar
    - enable auto rotate
    - text size normal
    - enable JavaScript
    - auto fit pages
    - text encoding utf-8
    - user agent android

9. Redflea

that's how it works for me. I'm talking about text fitting, not page fitting. I think you guys mean entire page fitting, right? my bad.

10. alostpacket

Aye, I was talking text fitting too.

11. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I dunno. :confused: I think the Dolphin's "auto-fit" features are getting better with every update. And pinch & zoom is getting really nice too. Spent the evening with a friend of mine and we surfed to web just about nonstop. He couldn't believe how well the DROID performed. And the Dolphin browser had a lot to do with his amazement.

12. Psychokitty

Yeah, I'm talking about page fitting. Most sites don't have a mobile version, so when I read "fit to page", I assume they mean the whole page fits neatly into the window width-wise. And Dolphin does this really well, -if you pinch the page. I have to pinch every new page. I have my text size set to large (makes no difference) so that when the page is pinched and fits the width of the screen, I can read it all just fine.
    But like I say, it doesn't default to that size, which is a real pain in the ass.

The other gripe (-and it's really the only other one I have...) is that I can't just tap on where the address bar should be and type one in. I'm constantly fumbling around trying to get into where I can type in a new page. I know I must be missing something there.

Other than this, I can't imagine going back to the stock browser. I'm also using Swype. Swype on the keyboard combined with Dolphin's customizable gestures has been a blast to use & a real jaw-dropper for my friends. :p

13. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The Dolphin browser wants you to create a new tab. Just tap on the + sign to the right of the tabs at the top, tap the address box at the top, type and Go. It's really quite simple. :)

14. Psychokitty

:) :) :)

...Ok, here's a real hoot-

This damned thing is SO cool that I find myself saying, "Gueeze, it does that, that & that, but it can't do that!?" -Getting wayyy too spoiled rotten by the Droid's capabilities. lol
    So I didn't realize 'till I read your post & started playing even more that all that's needed to 'unhide' the tabs is a double tap! (I've been using Dolphin for over a week now, mind you!)

That's what I get for not watching the video. ;)

15. alostpacket

Discovering the double tap was a real eureka moment for me as well.

I thought i would hide and unhide its tabs on a whim before that :eek:

16. Psychokitty

Yeah, I was having a hard time with swiping the screen to scroll down on a page. I'd be cursing like a drunkin' sailor, but not at the phone, -at my fat fingers! I thought I was accidently hitting one of the 4 dedicated touch buttons all the time.

17. Redflea

If you want to open an address bar in the current window, there are two quick options.

1. Touch the gesture tab and define a gesture for "Go." Then use that gesture.
    2. Tap menu and then Go.

either of those will open an address bar in your current window.

18. Redflea

It's funny. One of the things that I like is that Dolphin doesn't auto fit the page, so I don't have to resize things every time. :)

19. Redflea

Oh, and you guys know that you can swipe across to move between windows, right?

If you have two or more windows open, swipe to the left until you get to the right edge of the current screen, and then the second screen will appear, and so on.

20. alostpacket

Yeah love that feature too. Another accidental eureka moment heh. :)

21. alostpacket