1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Dolphin browser HD VS Opera Mini

Last Updated:

1. lildonovan000

lildonovan000 Member This Topic's Starter

go ahead debate

Advertisement
  2. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Skyfire

3. Cirith

Cirith Active Member

Been using opera as my desktop browser for years now and don't like to use anything else. However I tried the mobile version on my Inc and while it wasn't that bad there were a few issues that really bothered me although I can't think of them now since it has been a couple months. After that I tried Dolphin HD and I love it. Especially the newest update. It seems to handle page sizing a lot better and it very easily hides extra buttons unless you need them.. and very easy to bring them up: Swipe right for bookmarks and address bar, swipe left for extras and addons like speed dial, desktop/mobile view switch, fullscreen, and larger tabs.

4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I use Dolphin. The add-ons make it even better for me.

5. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

No Flash, no Opera. Then again, if you do not want Flash, Opera would be an option.

6. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 Well-Known Member

I used both and prefer Dolphin HD. I'd stay clear of the adblock plugin though, caused me a few issues speed wise. Would take forever to load this forum and double tap to get the text to fit the screen almost never worked. Uninstalled and all is well.

Still waiting for fennec.

7. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

+1 I use Opera on my home computer for 5+ years now I think.. Love it.. but the mobile app I can't use. It seems to scale oddly, and I dont like how you cant change it to view in desktop mode very easily.

8. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

dolphin hands down

9. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

love dolphin's gesture feature, multiple tabs, swipe tools and bookmarks

10. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Why no love for Skyfire. They have more flash capabilities.

Until Froyo (ANOTHER FROYO MENTION!!!!! :D ) Skyfire is my choice.

11. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

Dolphin HD. This is only because I can't get my BlackBerry browser back. :)

12. Goldfire

Goldfire New Member

I use both Opera and Dolphin on a Verizon Droid X.
    Opera searches and returns data much faster than Dolphin
    Dolphin has flash

13. andywarno

andywarno Well-Known Member

Don't know if anybody in the Opera camp has heard that instead of Opera Mini (made for basic feature phones), Opera Mobile is made for full feature smartphones. Optimized for touch screens and flash.

That being said, I use Opera Mobile on my Incredible, and Opera 11.5 on my desktop. Been using Opera on my desktop consistently for about a year now and I like having Opera Mobile on my phone because all of my stuff syncs to it; Bookmarks, Browsing History, Passwords, Notes. Although I prefer not to sync my speed dial because I find I browse differently from my phone than on my desktop, so I keep different speed dials.

14. coco savage

coco savage Well-Known Member

i personally like Dolphin and all its add ons. Its not the fastest browser but i like the features it has.

15. guyver_dio

guyver_dio Well-Known Member

out of those two I'd go with Opera, very polished user interface and fast page loads. Loved the custom homescreen with your bookmarks as tiles. Dolphin's interface was ugly as hell and gestures didn't really appeal to me, seemed to be the same amount of effort just finding the button that did the same thing.

I've been through a few browsers but I'm back to using just the stock one now, nothing I do requires anything that the stock browser doesn't already handle well so no sense in wasting resources on using something else.

16. Ngo93

Ngo93 Well-Known Member

For me opera is the fastest browser yet, although I use xScope as my default. Question, between dolphin hd and dolphin mini, is 1 faster than the other? Or are they both about the same?

17. Miths000

Miths000 Well-Known Member

I've been using Opera for Windows since version 7.5 (around 2004), but I have to admit that on my Android phone I've preferred Dolphin HD over Opera Mobile (haven't tried the Mini version) for the relatively limited amount of web browsing I've been doing.

It's still possible my opinion could change with more extensive browsing of course, few browsers - at least desktop browsers (I'm on my first smart phone here) - really start showing what they are capable of until you use them for more than very basic and brief web surfing.

18. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

This is truly an example of apples and oranges. The browsers are designed to have different strengths.

Why not compare with Dolphin Mini?

19. armanke13

armanke13 Member

vs Firefox? but I can't install Firefox on my Galaxy Mini :(
    was waiting Chrome for Android, the built-in Android browser sucks, but I think it's not Chrome (?)

I'm a long time Opera user since using mobile running J2ME before now, quite satisfied,
    not using Dolphin yet, I think I'll test it, but I doubt it will defeat Opera speed,

20. korrupTed

korrupTed Well-Known Member

For me, opera mini is the best for quick searches. If I need to look for a certain keyword, or look for some FAQ,s I would definitely check opera mini. Lately though, Dolphin is catching up. I use it for regular day to day browsing as well as for downloads. If Dolphin stays as stable and fast as it is, it will definitely overrun Opera mini

21. TheKalle

TheKalle Well-Known Member

Dolphin Browser is the best and it's the one I use. Opera takes too much space. Only good thing is that its easier downloading files with Opera.

22. INvinter23

INvinter23 Well-Known Member

Dolphin browser, here.... idk what's wrong with my opera mini... it could download new msgs on my gmail, but i cannot view it.... msgs do not load... funny thing is that i still go and check if i have new mails using opera coz it refreshes faster than dolphin... i just need to switch to dolphin if i got new mails... lol

23. Chip_365

Chip_365 Well-Known Member

I use Opera Mini. It does have some quirks BUT it SAVES me A LOT of bandwidth use compared to the stock browser. It is incredible how different the usage is. With Opera Mini I never go over my monthly data plan, but did with my stock browser (both including other data access). I have not tried Dolphin but would not use it if it did not offer the same compression feature of Opera. I also tried the other Opera version for flash, but rarely used it so uninstalled & rarely use the stock browser if need be as I can't uninstall it anyway.

HTC DHD

24. chinesedave

chinesedave New Member

if youve got a chance watch my video on the new chrome beta browser on the Galaxy Nexus! :) Such a good browser! Comments would be appreciated :) youtube(dot)come/watch?v=EVgk62x_gGg

25. rodawg71

rodawg71 Well-Known Member

Dolphin HD user here...