Dolphin HD Browser Bookmark Question...Tips

Last Updated:

1. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sometimes I wish I was Dr Frankenstein and could take the parts I like from all 5 major browsers and put them together into one SUPER-browser.

1. Stock Browser (full-featured but slow)
    2. Dolphin HD (medium quick but weird bookmarking scheme)
    3. Opera Mini (fast and great bookmarks, but no pinch-to-zoom)
    4. Skyfire (all round probably best one, but slower than xscope)
    5. xScope (very fast and light but lousy bookmarking and no copy text)

Anyway, I was giving Dolphin HD a shot because I like the way you can drag your bookmarks out from the left side. I actually like to have my bookmarks alphabetized (I know, NUTS, right?), but apparently Dolphin sees no need for this as they don't have any option to sort your bookmarks by any metric other than to drag each one by hand - a rough task if you have 200 bookmarks.

Dolphin does have this "Bookmarks to SD" add-on that will allow you to export your stock browser (universal) bookmarks to an html file, then import them back into Dolphin. Unfortunately, it somehow reverses the order of my A-Z alphabetized universal bookmarks so that they are Z-A in Dolphin. Grrrr - annoying.

Anyway to fix this?

Advertisement
  2. TambourineMan

TambourineMan Well-Known Member

Why not put a number in front of the first word?

3. mitchellvii

I'm not sure I get your point. What I am saying is that for some reason, Dolphin reverses the alphabetical order in which bookmarks are saved.

4. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Bookmark organization is clearly the weakest feature of Dolphin HD. Is there even a way to create folders?

The upside is... everything else. And I can't give up gesture shortcuts. I actually like browsing on Dolphin HD more than my desktop.

BTW, the number scheme can work if you make the numbers backward -- put a 1 in front of the last bookmark and so forth. I think that's what the poster was referring to.

5. Ricker

Ricker Active Member

Speaking of dolphin bookmarks, how can you delete just one bookmark?

6. mitchellvii

I guess that's what I don't get about Dolphin Browser.

They put all this time and energy into creating exotic add-ons and themes, but leave their whole bookmarking scheme out in left field? So all the energy goes into stuff I rarely use and the thing I use everyday gets ignored?

After using M$ Office products for years, I am accustomed to truly bizarre, user unfriendly programming changes, but still, I don't get this.

How hard would it be to just have Dolphin use the universal bookmarks like every other browser does? Why does it need it's own bookmark file? How hard would it be to have it sort alphabetically?

The numbering scheme is a non starter for a bunch of reasons - first of which is I have hundreds of bookmarks and I would have to totally redo the scheme everytime I added a bookmark that wasn't on the end.

**I have given up on Dolphin. Sorry but xScope (paid version) is faster, lighter and does bookmarks better.

7. Cobravision

You have to go to Bookmarks tap Edit on the bottom to go to full screen. Then just long press on a bookmark to delete.

Ricker likes this.
  8. Cobravision

I now understand why Dolphin doesn't care about bookmarks. Because there's a better way.

Tap search and type in a few letters, and BAM! There's your bookmark.

It's basically the same way throughout Android -- tap Search and stuff magically appears. Like the app drawer -- depending on how many programs you have installed, it can be a kludge scrolling for an app that's not already on the home screen. But jut tap Search and type the first few letters of the app name, and it pops up.

Now that I found the Search tool, I don't even need to go into bookmarks anymore. Saves me from extra taps and lots of scrolling.

9. zaidaus

zaidaus New Member

Thanks for pointing that out, Cobra. It hadn't occurred to me that it searches the bookmarks, too. That's pretty handy.

I still consider it to be a missing feature that you can't add tags to saved bookmarks, but I think I can live without it. I can always tag saved bookmarks later using Google Bookmarks on a PC.

10. Cobravision

It definitely works better after you clear out your history though. If you have many days worth of history, it's not as efficient.

11. chris83282

chris83282 New Member

to make a folder slide you bookmark bar to where you can see it and then hit quick access then click bookmarks in the quick access field. then on your phone hit your menu button then click add folder.
    dolphin hd