• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Domestic Data" and other roam settings discussed. (check here for roaming concerns)

The 'Domestic Data' option allows you to decide if you want allow your phone to use data while roaming.

There is a master setting, 'Roaming', for deciding if you want to use Sprint only networks, or if you want to allow your phone to roam onto other carriers networks when you are not in range of a Sprint tower (i.e. Verizon -- Sprint and Verizon have a business agreement to let eachother take advantage of each-others towers on a limited basis).

Right below 'Roaming' there are 2 more options to give you the further choice if you want to allow your phone to accept calls while you are roaming. 'Domestic Voice'.
And if you want to allow your phone to use data while roaming. 'Domestic Data'

I believe If you have an unlimited data plan you can roam for free and take advantage of both voice and data while roaming without charge, up to a point. HOWEVER, if you roam a majority of the time and accept alot of calls or use a LARGE amounts of data while roaming Sprint has the right to apply extra charges and even terminate your account.
(anyone feel free to correct this info as I'm not sure on the specifics)

If you are interested in the official jargon see this link:
https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm
(press Ctrl. + F on your keyboard and search domestic. Should be the second result.)

(sounds like EarlyMon is referring to the new feature that allows you to natively track data, voice, and SMS usage. Settings -> More -> Usage)

Upvote 0
I travel quite a bit and have always left both domestic voice and data on, along with no roaming warnings, and an unlimited plan.

You have to work at it to have Sprint boot you for usage, I've not run into it.

I used to use helper apps like 3G Watchdog and the like, but don't bother now, haven't in some time.

Sprint is good about unlimited and roaming.

Upvote 0
Hy all,

Whenever I'm on roaming, my texts would not send. I tried everything but still nothing. Here are my options that are set on the phone:

Roaming - automatic
Domestic voice - On
Domestic data - On
Roaming guards- Everything Off
International voice & data - Off (by the way, what do these mean?)

Does anyone know what my problem can be?

Dave

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
If you've got the unlimited plan you really need to abuse the roaming data useage to get the boot.

International roaming and data is where you need to watch. You'll get taken to the cleaners with those charges. LOL ;)

What kind of settings would you need to get that data roaming going? I've had no network since march. Maybe that will get me coverage, or get my contract cancelled!

Upvote 0
The 'Domestic Data' option allows you to decide if you want allow your phone to use data while roaming.

There is a master setting, 'Roaming', for deciding if you want to use Sprint only networks, or if you want to allow your phone to roam onto other carriers networks when you are not in range of a Sprint tower (i.e. Verizon -- Sprint and Verizon have a business agreement to let eachother take advantage of each-others towers on a limited basis).

Right below 'Roaming' there are 2 more options to give you the further choice if you want to allow your phone to accept calls while you are roaming. 'Domestic Voice'.

I believe If you have an unlimited data plan you can roam for free and take advantage of both voice and data while roaming without charge, up to a point. HOWEVER, if you roam a majority of the time and accept alot of calls or use a LARGE amounts of data while roaming Sprint has the right to apply extra charges and even terminate your account.

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm
(press Ctrl. + F on your keyboard and search domestic. Should be the second result.)

(sounds like EarlyMon is referring to the new feature that allows you to natively track data, voice, and SMS usage. Settings -> More -> Usage)

This another reason for not having Big names. Pay alot more for something can be used at a reduced rate from monthlies.

""HOWEVER, if you roam a majority of the time and accept alot of calls or use a LARGE amounts of data while roaming Sprint has the right to apply extra charges and even terminate your account.
(anyone feel free to correct this info as I'm not sure on the specifics)""

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones