Done with Android?General

1. marcus304j

marcus304j Member

I had an iPhone 1st Gen and an iPhone 3G. Like everyone else on this board, I then fell in love with Android and then switched to a Samsung Captivate, then the S2, and recently moved to the S4.

I feel like I'm burnt of out of Android after my S4 experience. The Google Voice app crashes daily on me, I haven't found a web browser I like, I don't like the keyboard choices (yes even SwiftKey), I don't care about the gestures or smart screen features, etc. To boot, my battery life hasn't been what I expected it to be on the S4 as I only get about 3.5 hours of screen on time with each charge. To be honest, the only thing keeping me from getting another iPhone is the S4's removable battery and SD card.

Should I see a psychiatrist? I feel like a traitor...

Advertisement
  2. kisby

kisby Well-Known Member

Some of the problems you mention are with software, others with hardware. I agree that my Samsung Galaxy S4 and Android 4.2.2 are not perfect, but they are continually improving. Look where we were just a couple of years ago.

People like us who work the forums and point out problems, discuss expectations, and push for improvements are part of the solution. I can only hope that Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and Google are listening to us. We make the product better by demanding a better product.

Stick with Android. It's still better than the alternative, and I'm sure it will keep improving.
  3. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the gestures and smart screen features. I've called those very underwhelming.

You don't like the Chrome browser? I find that surprising because I took to that very quickly, but then I use the Windows version of that browser too.

My main complaint is that Samsung made too many changes from Jellybean which are completely unnecessary. For example, reversing the menu and back keys, or how pulling down with two fingers won't get you to settings. You shouldn't have to think about who the manufacturer of a piece of hardware is before you decide what needs to be done to accomplish a task.

But overall I'm happy with the S4, just not all of the Samsung software.
  4. WalkaboutDavid

WalkaboutDavid Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with you, Goodspike. I do like a few of the Samsung changes though, like I like all those pull down widgets.

I think my perspective would be far more negative if not for Nova Launcher, however.
  5. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

Iphone is just way to bland for me. Even if I don't use or like all of the features, I'd rather have them as an option.
  6. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

Have you tried Dolphin HD browser? It's pretty slick and lightweight. I'm a big fan of Firefox for PC, but it's not quite there yet for Android and has a much heavier footprint (compared to Dolphin). I take it you don' like Swype? I learned it really quickly and you can add custom words to its dictionary.
  7. wysts43

wysts43 Well-Known Member

Also consider Boat browser
  8. sincarafan

sincarafan Well-Known Member

Have you tried Kii for the keyboard? I wont use anything else now.
  9. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

well what are you looking for in a browser and keyboard. I find chrome and the stock android keyboard from the market are both very very good. but if you dont care for the gestures, then turn them off. install the google edition ROM, or an AOSP based ROM of which there are many. I mean if youre burnt out on android, going to ios is just going to be so much worse, and the same for windows phone, so i really dont know what advice to give. You could install the MIUI ROM which gives an iphone-esque look, but I really dont know what youre looking for
  10. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member

Disclaimer : I'm a Smartphone Addict, and as such everything that follows is due to my addiction :)

The one thing I know is there is no perfect Smartphone.

I find my Galaxy S4 to be the fastest, smoothest, and best Galaxy S in the series. I have had every one, from the Galaxy S, S2, S3, and S4.

As a point of reference, I am also using an iPhone 5 concurrently. In addition I've owned each new iPhone as well.

If I was forced kicking and screaming... to choose just one phone to live with for the next year, it would be the S4 hands down no hesitation.

Yes their are a few annoyances, and things to learn and adjust to, but in the overall scheme of things my Galaxy S4 is miles ahead of the iPhone 5.

I find the improvements in TouchWiz a very good upgrade to past versions. In fact I can honestly say that I like some aspects of the new TouchWiz better than the pure Android experience of my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.2 Tablet.

Yet one of the most important things I love about Android is the ability to root it and modify my phone to my liking.

Thanks to Google and Samsungs quality handsets, Android remains my absolute favorite.
  11. droidsmurf

droidsmurf Active Member

Life's too short to be unhappy. If you would be happier with an iPhone, go get yourself an iPhone. At least you know what to expect.

Disclaimer: although I don't own any iCrapple stuff, I do own Apple stock. So get out there and buy more iPhones 'n stuff.
  12. Money_Mark

Money_Mark Well-Known Member

yes, see a psychiatrist.
  13. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

A traitor to what? To keep it in perspective we're talking about phones here. They are tools. If you prefer a different tool then get it and use it! If iOS works better for you then don't hesitate, switch. Droidsmurf said it perfectly, why be unhappy? Life's too short.
  14. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

I say (if you can afford it without selling your S4), go get your iPhone (maybe wait till the fall when the new one comes out?!?!) and now you have the flagship phone from both Apple and Samsung.

Switch it up once in a while! The way we can manage our accounts these days, you can log in whenever you want and swap phone ID's at will.