Done with Motorola - Returning Droid

Last Updated:

1. edub

edub Member This Topic's Starter

As much as I love all the gadgetry of the Droid, the reception is beyond awful much like it was with my RAZR. My last phone, a Samsung performed flawlessly - all phones using Verison.

It is painfully obvious at this point that Motorola has serious issues with the call reception of their phones. Perhaps some people are willing to tolerate this in order to get all the bells and whistles - I am not one of them.

There will always be people who will swear by their purchase come hell or high water - I expect many responses from them. But, if you search the internet you will find numerous accounts of horrendous reception with these phones. It seems poor reception is the norm for Motorola.

If your main reason for purchasing a phone is to make phone calls, and you do not want to hear garbled voices, static and people constantly telling you they can't hear you, avoid Motorola phones.

Advertisement
  2. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

I was forced to buy minutes for my phone. I rarely actually use the phone-phone part.

However, I understand your concern as it isn't the best reception. Good luck.

3. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have brought back plenty of phones because of poor reception. For my business, I MUST HAVE a phone that works! It doesn't matter what else it can do. Everything else a phone can do is fun, but to me the most important thing is phone reception. With that said, I travel all over the country and I am getting better reception with the droid than I was with my storm 1 and 2. I also get much better reception than my coworkers who are on the Iphone. It's a shame that your getting poor reception, but I would do the same thing you are if I were experiencing it. And no, I'm not defending my purchase. Like I said, I would get rid of it in a second if I had the same problems your having.

4. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

The reception no my Droid is perfect.

5. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

My phone rarely has under 2 bars of cell reception regardless of my location. The 3G is a different story though, lately I've been seeing 1x more often. That's usually when I'm at home though where I get notoriously bad reception. Even then, the regular cell reception is still 2-3 bars in my house. Maybe it's where you live or you have a bad phone?

6. tomato88

tomato88 Well-Known Member

Ever since I got Droid, I've been getting receptions in places I thought to be dead zone. It might be that you got a faulty device. Oh well, it also depends on where you live in, so it might be another different story. But I've never had any problems with receptions on mine.

7. shaidtan

shaidtan Well-Known Member

I have no problems with phone reception or voice quality on my Droid. I'm not simply saying that to defend my purchase, and I don't think others are here any more than you're just agreeing with the vocal minority and attempting to garner attention by saying you're going to ditch the Droid for what many here by definition feel is an inferior device.

I will say that I've had several Blackberry phones over the years. On the long list of things that the Droid does far better than any BB I've held in my hands voice quality is right up there. Compared to a Curve a friend had on Verizon a while back I'd say that reception strengths were comparable, but the Droid easily has a wider frequency range.

Is this your first Droid or have you tried swapping it out already?

8. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

At work inside my building I get 3 bars. Once outside I get all 4. At home I only get 1 bar inside which I guess is a problem because it makes me worry a little, even though I can still place and receive calls just fine.

I don't see the point in these jumping ship post I sometimes see. You've already decided to get a new phone, why are you here telling us about it?

9. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

My Droid has the best reception of any phone I've owned since I can remember. That's really only taking into account the LG Voyager, Kyocera Slider and the Slider Remix, so my experience is somewhat limited and I've never owned a smartphone before this one, but my reception is better than most of my friends who use Verizon and AT&T (no surprise there).

Still have yet to update the baseband.

Edit: Saw this thread, addresses the same thing but seems more specific.
    http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/61567-declining-reception.html

10. rockstar323

rockstar323 Well-Known Member

Out of the 20 we have here for work we havent had a single problem with call reception or voice quality. Now that i think about it this is the first time i can ever remember that we have used a smartphone for more that a few months without having to return a single one.

slick_old likes this.
  11. slider112

slider112 Active Member

12. slider112

slider112 Active Member

+1

Couldn't have said it any better... :D

skunkpbguy likes this.
  13. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

No reception problems here either. But I live near the DC Metro area (suburbs) and we typically get really good coverage. This is in stark contrast to what I used to have (at&t and Sprint). So, I can't complain. I've had two Motorola phones (the DROID being the second) and yeah, the reception isn't as good as the Samsung, but again, strength of network in my area makes this negligible. This brings up the point though that people shouldn't just get the latest and greatest phones/devices, but get the device that works best in your area. I know a bagillion iPhone users who just agonize over the coverage, but hey, I have an iPhone, they'll say. What's the point?!

14. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

I get better reception on my two Motorola's (Droid and RAZR) than any other phone I've had.

15. kens97sto171

kens97sto171 Well-Known Member

I have noticed the quality of the voice seems more dependent on who is calling me and what they use. My friend with an iPhone sounds worse than any landline call. My wife sounds great when using the Droid handset but a lot worse when using her Bluetooth jawbone. Too many variables to be sure why it sounds bad wjhen you throw in the location and signal strength too.

16. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

this is the best reception I have EVER had, can't think of once where I had a dropped call that was the droid. You are unlucky

17. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge proponent on your reception being heavily affected on where you live and your surroundings. Some areas I get great reception and clarity while others are less than stellar with dropped calls not being uncommon. But by in large the reception performance far outshines the experience I've had with the iPhone and AT&T. <--- That was the worst ever.

18. drudometkin

drudometkin Well-Known Member

Reception and call quality are perfect on mine and my g/fs. I even have great reception on the ski lift in the local mts.

19. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Ditto! I have had zero dropped calls nor has anyone complained about my voice when I called them. No issues here. I'm sorry you have reception issues.

20. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

I get the best reception I have ever gotten with any phone with my Droid. In fact, I would rate my Droid's voice reception as close to perfection as any phone can possibly get. Not just the reception, but the sound quality is superb. The voice feature of my Droid is the best I've ever had from any phone.

21. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I've had much worse call quality on my Droid. It's not bad enough that I've returned it, but I don't think I ever lost a call on my old BB Curve, and it's probably happened 10 times in the few months I've owned my Droid. Also, it seems like there is almost always static on my line while talking. I haven't moved, and never had a problem with my old phone. Again, it's not bad enough that I'm returning it, but it's there.

22. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

We always thought our house was an absolute dead zone. My parents, who have flip-phones, always lose calls even when they stand by the window. I can be anywhere in the house and I won't lose a call with my Droid. I have better reception now than I ever did.

23. refuzeandrezizt

refuzeandrezizt Well-Known Member

Mark me down as another person with great reception and sound. I feel your pain though, since I came to Verizon from AT&T. I would try a swap at least once, just to see if you got a bad phone, but to each his own. Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make.

24. Quake1028

Quake1028 Active Member

The fiancee and I have gone through a set of new Droids and about to try another set. LOVE the tech side of the phone, but when people can't hear you, constantly tell you you sound like a robot, nasally, etc., something is wrong.

25. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Fare thee well. Good day and good bye, I pray your next phone is at least Android. ;)