Don't forget to remove the plastic film on the back of the screen

1. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

I didn't realize there was another plastic film to remove until I saw it mentioned in another forum. If you slide the keyboard out, it is on the back of the screen. There is a little tab and once you get it going it comes off very easily. The keyboard slides out smoother, but still feels snug and tight.

Advertisements
  2. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.......

Haha.

3. thaJack

thaJack Well-Known Member

Hadn't noticed that... why not leave it, though?

4. fortworthbret

fortworthbret Well-Known Member

leaving it?

it will begin to come off one day anyhow. I'd prefer not to have that balling up behind the slider.

5. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Actually, I wish I didn't take it off. I bet that's the whole reason why my slider started to feel a lot more loose and easier to slide than before, and I liked it the other way.

6. netw0rkdude

netw0rkdude New Member

Never even noticed it. Thanks for the heads up. I was worried I was removing something that was not supposed to be removed at first but then it peeled right off. The keyboard definitely slides a little better once removed.

7. ArXane

ArXane Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I actually think im going to call motorolla and see if they can send me a new one. I carry my phone in my pocket and I always find the phone opening now. Sucks.

8. quixand

quixand Well-Known Member

Oh wow...that sucks. LOL

9. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

That is odd about it being too loose for some. Mine is still very tight, almost too tight still, without the film. I guess the rule would be that if you feel as if it is a bit "grabby" as you are opening it, then take it off. If you think it is fine already, then leave it.

Or, you could go into your local Verizon store and check it out without the film (if their display model still has it, help them out and remove it for them!!!). :0)

10. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 Active Member

I also didn't notice this until I read this post. Sounds like I'll be leaving it there though.

11. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

I think I'll leave mine in for now. :D

12. ergalthema

ergalthema Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine already slides apart in my pocket sometimes. Guess I'll leave the film on.

13. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

Yes, given the variations in the build (ie the tightness of the slider) it is a good thing they have that film to begin with! Those for whom it is already a bit loose can leave it, those for whom it is a bit tight can remove it. Mine works noticeably better with it removed. I thought it was fine before, but now I see that this is the way it was meant to be.

14. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

It's intended to stay on, it add's friction to the screen so it doesn't open when its in your pocket or various other places. If you notice its cut precisely to fit back there, no tabs for easy removal.

15. jacwashere7

jacwashere7 Well-Known Member

Yeah I never noticed it either untill I saw this thread.
    Took it off before reading past the first post and it is def. easier to slide I just prefer the way it was prior to removing the film

16. quixand

I actually figured....what the hell.

It's gonna come off at some point, my end was already peeling up. As was stated...I'd rather pull it off than have it gummed up in my phone.

Phone slides MUCH smoother now. Clicks in closed nicely. Not sloppy or loose at all.

17. rpartin

rpartin Member

So... does anyone have streaks on the plastic where it has been rubbing? No?? Hmmm.... Must not actually touch anything then huh? Take it off!!! :D

18. quixand

I've never seen anything have plastic on it like that that wasn't meant to come off....so...../shrug

Mines perfect now.

19. Teezy

Teezy Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure its suppose to be on there as mentioned above its cut with round out where the screws are. If it was suppose to be removed it would have had tabs on it i would think.

20. fortworthbret

fortworthbret Well-Known Member

A) it has a tab to remove it (top right when looking at it)

B) it has holes for the screws because it was there to protect the shiny black metal during manufacture.

Take it off folks, don't be like that crazy aunt we all have that leaves the film on their products.

21. toorude

toorude New Member

I noticed that the first day I had my Droid, and mine actually has marks on it where the slider mechanism has been rubbing against it. I think I'll leave it on, I'm a little more worried about a loose slider than one that's too tight.

22. snosamie6

snosamie6 Active Member

I noticed it the night of and had one of the employees remove the store tester. After reading this I decided to go ahead and remove it. Why not? It did not really make a difference because I had wearing marks on it (tight fit to begin with). Now if I eventually develop a problem I will give Motorola a call.

23. PridgNYC

PridgNYC Well-Known Member

Mine actually did have streaks on it where it was rubbing. I took it off, and now the keyboard slides much smoother. I also noticed after taking it off that there is a bunch of engraved paralell lines on the metal plate which the plastic was hiding. So the question is, if it wasn't meant to be removed, why engrave the lines on the plate, then cover them with plastic?

24. quixand

This.

25. Megasean

Megasean Well-Known Member

It is definitely not supposed to stay on. Its a cheap peice of film. I took mine off and my phone slides much smoother and feels lighter ;)