Don't go buddy :(

Last Updated:

1. Drybones5

Drybones5 Active Member This Topic's Starter

My Samsung Captivate will randomly shut off between 6:30am-11:00

This only happens while I'm at school. I do have the Samsung Galaxy S Dotted Matrix Gel case from their website. It has the dotted decal on the back. It does make the lock button more sensitive to press. but the phone is just sitting there and it will turn off the screen for lock. But then won't come back on and instead reboots.

I even tried it with out the case. It just does this no reason and between certain times ONLY at school. These times happen at home and it doesn't do it.

I can't explain why.

In fact how can it be the lock button? I'm holding the button down and it's not turning off.

The battery is not loose, I can shake the phone and bump it and it does nothing. when it randomly shuts off it's sitting still on my desk.

Anyone know what might cause this. I think my school is messing with me lol

Advertisement
  2. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto Active Member

It could be a bad app.

3. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

If it's only doing it at your school, I have to wonder if it IS something your school is doing. Otherwise...people who seem to been having random shut down issues are usually having issues with 'bad apps'.

4. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

...then there are those experiencing this problem with stock phones which, in my mind at least, negates the "bad apps" theory.

= = = = =

My contribution from another similar thread:

I think we can agree by now that it's not related to software downloaded from the Market. Each potential culprit has been ruled out, in addition to the fact that it's been happening with stock phones. That leaves us with pre-installed software, system settings, a bad batch of RAM or some other hardware issue that is not universally defective.

I've had my replacement for almost two weeks without a shutdown. My settings are as follows:

1. Wi-Fi is always on and is set to never sleep. The "never sleep" settings can be accessed via the Wi-Fi settings page menu, Advanced tab at the bottom. Reason: I'm attempting to generate additional under-the-cover activity (plus I do use Wi-Fi). As I'm not a technician, this may be nonsense.

2. Power saving mode is not checked. Reason: "Don't do me any favors, Captivate. Your idea of power saving may get out of hand."

3. I never let the phone go into sleep mode on its own. Default is 30 minutes, but I always push the button to get it to sleep. Reason: Just in case the built-in sleep timer thinks that "sleep" and "coma" are synonymous.

You can try these three mods to see if they work for you. I'm not saying that these settings will for sure fix the issue, but rather letting you know what's been effective for me...so far.

Bottom line - I'm offering a no-lose proposition.