Dont know what to do now?

Last Updated:

1. pmartof

pmartof Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I am pretty sure I Rooted my phone correctly everything did what it was supposed to but now that im rooted( i know this is a stupid question) what can i do? Do I have to download a custom rom to do anything? When i go into the super user there is just one folder that says unknown and when i click it three buttons come up saying Deny, Forget and cancel. Should there be more in the super user folder?

Advertisement
  2. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

theres a number of advantages to rooting. theres some root only apps in the market if you want to stay stock, and theres tons of custom roms you can run. do some reading around here and ask for pointers along the way.

pmartof likes this.
  3. pmartof

Ok so the one unknown folder in the superuser is normal? Should I open it? And could someone point me in the direction of where and how to download cyanogen froyo 2.2

4. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

You can download CyanogenMod 6 RC1 here: HTC Hero CDMA - CyanogenMod Forum

I also suggest you grab the Google Apps add-on pack. It comes with all of the Google goodies that CyanogenMod 6 cannot contain by default due to licensing and whatnot.

pmartof likes this.
  5. pmartof

Sweet Thanks

6. chawski

when you download cyanogen, go ahead and dl the newest nightly. (found here Index of /cm/nightly/heroc/)
    Basically since its an "unfinished" rom, these are nightly updates. I usually flash one every week or so, but if you want to do it every night, by all means. Dont let the term unfinished turn you off to this by any means though. Ive been running it for about 2-3 weeks now and havnt found anything that doesnt work as it should. youre gonna be amazed at how fast your phone actually can be

pmartof likes this.
  7. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

You never really need to mess with the superuser app, a superuser popup will appear when something requests root access.

pmartof likes this.
  8. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Yeah, honestly, I only recommend the CyanogenMod 6 RC1 ROM because it is a stable release. I figured it is a good place for a new user to start.

The nightly ROMs are also fine to flash to as chawski said. Just be sure to wipe the cache and Dalvik cache before you flash over top of the previous CyanogeMod 6 nightly or CyanogenMod 6 RC1.

pmartof likes this.
  9. chawski

clearing the cache is recommended when flashing a new nightly, but theres been atleast twice i forgot to do it, including the one im currently running, and ive never seen any problems

pmartof likes this.
  10. pmartof

Ok cool now I don't have a problem flashing the harder way through the recovery but I figured I would try it with Rom manager but for some reason it wouldn't let me download clockwork recovery it keeps giving me a error message any ideas why could that be a rooting issues? I can still boot into my ra recovery.

11. Joehunni

What exactly does it say when you try to flash Clockworkmod RA?

12. pmartof

It first asks me to verify my phone which I do then after about 15 seconds It says exactly "an error occurred while flashing your recovery" how do I know for sure if im rooted?

13. Joehunni

download quickboot and see if it works, a superuser request should pop up then when you hit allow it should reboot, if this doesn't work then you probably don't have root.

14. pmartof

Ok the quickboot worked that's a good sign! Any other suggestions? Am I always supposed to have usbdebugging on?

15. pmartof

I am using the free version until I get paid tomorrow maybe that's it!