Don't let this happen to you! (advice for my fellow noobs)

Last Updated:

1. giraffe999

giraffe999 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had a good rooting experience, but made a few mistakes with setting up my phone once it was rooted that I want to pass along to my fellow noobs so they don't have to repeat my errors.

I just switched over from an Eris, and according to titanium backup FAQ, you can restore to an entirely different phone! Well apparently it's a bad idea to restore all your apps and data to an entirely different model phone with an entirely different operating system --- the whole OS became super unstable and practically every app (incl Android) was constantly FC-ing. After a hard reset,
    I was more judicious in what I restored, but still used titanium backup to delete bloatware like I did on my Eris. That made the wifi stop working.

Another restore later, I just used launcher pro to hide the bloatware....it's still there but I don't see it (and thus it can't bother me...I think). I only used titanium backup to restore data for a few applications. I know the experienced folks here know how to do things the right way, but if you're a noob like me, hopefully this will help you avoid some frustrations.

Advertisement
  2. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

i am guessing you restored the system data too. that would be a big no no. You can restore non system apps and data only i would think

3. giraffe999

giraffe999 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yep...first time around I just flat out restored everything. That's when all hell broke loose.

Second time, I only did non-system apps and data. That's when everything worked but the wifi. I also deleted the bloatware, though, which could have screwed up the wifi too.