Dont love your Droid X? Trying to wait until the Holidays for a new phone... only for the curious

Last Updated:

1. Doon

Doon Active Member This Topic's Starter

Here is the thing: I love this forum, and Android. I like, but don't love the X. I have been waiting for THE Verizon phone since January. I am trying to wait until the holidays to buy a new phone (Gingerbread, Front cams, dual core, etc). But, I really need a phone now... my current one is dead! So what is a guy to do????

I wanted to post my solution (mods, please move if needed):

Like I said... I like the X... just not enough to be committed to a 1 or 2 year contract with it. I HAVE TO get a new phone NOW. Here is what I did. I stop by Costco, buy a Samsung Vibrant for $250 out the door (comes with a bunch of extras)... and the best part... NO CONTRACT. I own the phone outright for that price. $250 is a sweet deal for this phone without contract. Now I do have to deal with Tmobile for about 4 or 5 months... but coverage in my town is good and the reps are cool. And down the line... in about 5 months, when the phone I really want pops for Verizon, I will simply sell the Vibrant (might break even... might make money), and get the next sweet android phone.

Again, no contract! Sweet and speedy android. AMAZING screen. Very cheap temporary solution.

Best wishes,

I will stay in touch with this forum b/c I am a verizon guy in the long term. Happy hunting Droid lovers.

- Doon

Advertisement
  2. mikeyfl

mikeyfl Well-Known Member

hello... and goodbye. ;)

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  3. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Just buy an X outright then sell it in six months if something better comes out. I'm not sure why people have to vocalize their justification for not buying a phone. Droid X is ****ing awesome!

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  4. FeTTo

FeTTo Member

costco does have a lifetime warranty. You could just return the phone for full price (if you keep your receipt)

5. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I don't care for T-mobile myself, but dang that is a good deal, 250 for no contract for the Vibrant is pretty cheap. Good luck with with your purchase, hope everything works out for you.

6. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Their wireless area says their policy for cell phones is 90 days. Lifetime return policy doesn't apply to TV's, "iPods", Camcorders, Digital Cameras, etc.

7. Bonez

Bonez Well-Known Member

I guess you'll be waiting a little longer if you want something with a dual-core processor in it. The processors won't ship until at least the 4th quarter of this year and won't end up in phones until at least 1st or 2nd quarter of next year. There's no reason to not just get the X now and sell it next year when the dual-core phones come out.

But hey, you enjoy a phone you didn't really want while the rest of us enjoy the best and fastest phone on the market right now: DROID X, baby!

8. Doon

:p Nice! Yeah, I know the dual core wont be here for a while, but the other stuff will be. I just thought this deal was too good to pass up and I knew I should share it here since I have spent most of my time here since January/Feb! I WILL NOT get into a comparison of the two phones here :)! But I will say that I am HAPPY with my choice :cool:. And if I get tired of the phone by mid October I can simply return it and get the newest and best then!

Overall, I have been reading about android for the last year, talking it up, learning about it, and waiting for the right phone to land on Verizon. For me that phone has yet to land. But you guys, this is an awesome time for Android! There are so many awesome devices all running variations of the same software, we really do have so much choice! The open nature of Android is admirable. I hope that it continues. If Android gets locked down like the iOS I will probably move over to the Palm OS... they have a really great homebrew community that has the support of the establishment. My biggest problem with the X is the locked down bootloader. There is something wrong when the iPhone4 is hacked and an Android phone is locked! reskinning your homescreens is fun, but the ability to run your own ROMS is a whole different level.

I have an iPad (I bought it reluctantly but it is the only device of its kind - once android has a good tablet I will sell the iPad) - but my point is: I have been using apple's OS for a few months, and I used to have a palm pre plus, and have been stuck on winmo 6.1 forever! I have tried it all! Finally, I am happy to say, I am able to use Android on a daily basis! The best news is that Android is AWESOME and getting better everyday. Every single good app that I use on the iPad is available in the android market (and more)! Every month, more and more good phones are coming out. It is a good time for us Android lovers.

Now I am going to go see about rooting my new phone!

Enjoy!

9. FeTTo

FeTTo Member

They will still take it back if need be..i just returned a DVR/DVD player that broke that i bought for my parents for xmas 2005. Got $120 back because i didnt have the receipt, and used it to buy my mother the original droid as her upgrade, since costco sold it for $100

10. Shuck14

Shuck14 Active Member

Good Luck! Me personally, I can't seem to leave my X alone.

11. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I'm sure it depends on who you get at the return counter but Costco does really stand by their products which I think is very admirable. I may do my next upgrade at Costco after hearing this information.

12. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

Hmmm, more powerful is better. But more powerful eats your battery. If you like those 90 minute laptops then maybe these 'newer and better' phones are for you. :DYeah, I wouldn't wait because I'm not sure how these 2 ghz processors will pan out from a practicality standpoint.

13. Doon

I have been talking my friends on Verizon into getting the X! But for me I am loving the Samsung! As I do more research into the screen (and use it obviously) I find it to be absolutely unrivaled... there is much more, it is a stellar device. Like I said before, happy days for us all! I looked into buying the X outright at Costco (price checking for you guys) but they were sold out!

14. smittyatrain

smittyatrain Member

The ui and whole layout of those Samsung phones is nasty

15. Breakmyfootoff

Breakmyfootoff Active Member

I really like my Droid X, but I think I'm going to be paying the 35.00 restocking fee. I've been watching the Samsung Fascinate for Verizon and I think it's going to end up with a lot more developer/hacker support for it. It's already rooted and already has a few custom ROMs available (something we might never see on our X's) not to mention it will be available on all 4 of the major carriers. Processor wise, both phones are equals, until you overclock the hummingbird in the Samsung , and the Samsung has a GPU that is approximately 50% faster than the X and you cant overclock the GPU. You give up .3 inches of screen, but in the trade you get SAMOLED. Here's a link to a side by side comparison of the two.
    DROID X vs. Samsung Fascinate | Wirefly Learn

16. Breakmyfootoff

Breakmyfootoff Active Member

The UI can be changed, all you would have to do is throw Launcher Pro or ADW over it and you'd never see it, or you can load a custom ROM on the Samsung phone that just has vanilla Android ;).

17. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I agree no need for a thread like this if you dont want the X then dont get it but dont be upset when those phones dont come out this year

18. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

There's a Youtube floating around comparing the Sammy and the X speedwise (and a few other things).....the X is snappier, which sealed my decision to go with the X.

19. Bonez

Bonez Well-Known Member

And you give up the 8mp camera for a measly 5mp camera. And you give up the sexiness of the X for the look-a-likeness of the Fascinate to the iSuck.

I'm sorry, but the Fascinate looks way too much like the iPhone.

Smaller screen, smaller camera, looks like the iPhone....no thanks. Plus Samsung's reputation with mobile devices isn't that great either.

Oh, and the X will be rooted. They're close now. Won't be much longer.

20. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

you also cant forget the crappy feel to samsung phones and lack of support that they have shown. Atleast motorola has a good track record with supporting their devices

21. hahaha what

hahaha what Well-Known Member

id recommend an iphone 4 for your phoning needs

22. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

i would stick with the droid x. i hope to be getting one this week

23. sanjeeva7

sanjeeva7 Well-Known Member

You've fallen into the greater the MP the better the camera. :D

24. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

I prefer the X for several reasons but the Samsung should be a nice phone and is currently the gaming champ although the X does hold its own. However, I saw a technobuffalo video recently about the effects of the death grip on signal strength and the Captivate didn't do well at all:

YouTube - iPhone Death Grip Tested on 7 New Handsets

Hopefully it's just an At&t problem and the Fascinate will fair better. But it's something to look for before jumping on on it.

25. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

Orly? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I want proof lol.

^^^This