1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Don't plan on officially supported custom ROMs

1. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

For those that were hoping to have official CM/AOKP support for the VZW (and AT&T) S4, think again. :(

The bootloader "Unlock" is just a way to patch the boot image to make things work. Which means it has to be patched every time you flash. This kind of hackery means it'll never be an officially supported device. There may be some unofficial ROMs, and who knows they may be indistinguishable from an official port for supported phones.

But for me, since I'm paying full retail to save grandfather'd data plan, it's not worth the risk of having to be stuck with TouchWiz crap.

Advertisement
    :
  2. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong...maybe AOKP will pick this up as it's just a post-build step prior to packaging a ROM to loki-ify the images, but I'm still leery of being stuck with touchwiz! haha
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

At least it seems to less invasive than kexec was on the GS3.
  4. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

5. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

True but the S3 didn't get official support until after the leaked unsecured bootloader thing happened, right?
  6. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

I'm sure we will have some stuff. Just give it a little time.
  7. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'll eat my words. I'm already running AOKP on mine with only a couple of problems (BT and GPS). Otherwise flawless!
  8. Trooper

Are you really? That is cool man. What are you thinking of the device so far? Mine is stock have not even rooted it yet. Loving it.
  9. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I take it signal wise it performs better than your Gnex did.
  10. Trooper

Based upon my past experiences with a gnex yes. Gnex on Verizon is a pos.
  11. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

12. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Yep, it's a great device! I really like it so far. Having AOKP on it makes it even better! The animation lag is kind of annoying, I hope it's not a hardware issue. But it's easy to disable the animations until it's fixed. :)