Dont understand the whole hotspot thing...Support

Last Updated:

1. rachpreach

rachpreach Active Member

So im thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. But the ones that arent from AT&T only have wifi which is SUPER lame to me. I want to be able to use the internet while on road trips or when I dont have access to wifi. So is it possible to have my phone as a connect for 4g? The other thing is that I have the unlimited data plan for my samsung galaxy phone so Im not sure if that would be allowed....thanks for the help!

2. Bosbouer

Bosbouer Well-Known Member

Yes it will be possible to use your phone to access the internet through your tablet. Do a Google search for "tethering". It was explained in detail on one of the Galaxy Tablet forums.
    Sorry I cannot direct you directly, but I did not pay that much attention as the South African GT 2 10.1s all have WiFi and cellular faclities
  3. sgmdmz

sgmdmz New Member

Go to site.

Great teathering program and easy to set up.

Dave Z.
  4. sgmdmz

sgmdmz New Member

For the above post.... Sorry

Dave Z.
  5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

Many carriers can terminate accounts suspected of tethering so check your carrier's TOS. Many slow the connection down to dial-up speeds as a warning
  6. Uzephi

Uzephi Well-Known Member

In US, there is a law in place for 'limited' 4G plans that forces carriers to allow hotspot/tethering by the FCC. If you have 'unlimited' you aren't given this luxury of law. Check your TOS to ensure you can.

Almost all AOSP based ROMs have built in tethering that bypasses carrier blocks.$125m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/57484000 Verizon got fined 1.25mil by the FCC for charging people with limited data for hotspot capabilities
  7. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

A 'mifi' is handy for overcoming the 'no 3g in my tablet' problem.