Dont wanna kill another

Last Updated:

1. nicktk1

nicktk1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

First time posting here so, be gentle *is getting ready for butthurt*. I tried to flash my phone (obviously droid eris with 2.2) and ended up killing it. I no longer with do do as such right now, rather, i would like to flash a custom rom, however i am on a failbook(mac) and am wondering how to do as such using this mac.

Also if it is any help i used the one touch method for rooting

Advertisement
  2. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

Are you able to get to the recovery screen? If you can then all is well and can be fixed. If you don't know how to get to the recovery screen, hold vol up and the end button. On some phones you need to hold vol down and the end button. Now if your phone wont start up and go to the main home screen, and you didn't make a nandroid backup then you may need to have a card reader to install a custom rom on the root of your sd card. Let me know where you are at and we will go after that.

3. nicktk1

Dun worry bout that, i got a new eris...kinda sucks but whatever. What i am trying to do is just flash the rom image

4. kobel1up

Download a rom from xda developers. it to the root of your sdcard, not in any folder, load into recovery. do the wipes, go to wipe and do the first one on the top. Select flash from zip. flash and reboot. First flash will take a while so remember to have full charge. Hope that answers your question.

5. nicktk1

Just 2 more questions and we are good

1) I dont need my computer for this? (minus the download)
    2) How do i back up my current image in case i screw up

6. kobel1up

1) I haven't played around with downloading roms to my phone with just my phone, so I will leave that for someone else to answer. I will say if you don't have a sdcard reader then get one. I have a few sdcards laying around and have them set to fat32. Which is cache to cache, most new roms like XTRROM and XTRSENSE run cache to cache just like the froyo roms. Then when I flash a new rom, I just put the rom on my sdcard, then remove it and place it in my phone, do my wipes then flash the new rom. I find this to be safer and easier. IMO.:D
    2) go to recovery and select backup restore, on the next screen select nand back up. Then if you need to restore, do a wipe first, then select backup restore, then just select nand restore.

nicktk1 likes this.
  7. nicktk1

thanks so much, just made my day, ill let you know if it works

8. kobel1up

Thats what we are here for. I was there not to long ago, and I remembered how many people helped me.:)

9. nicktk1

yeah, right now looking for a rom right for me, mainly one that has mms....and suggestions?

10. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Just a quick point of clarification...if you are doing a Nandroid restore, you don't need to do a wipe first ('tis redundant :p).

Thanks and good job kobel1up!

nicktk1 likes this.
  11. nicktk1

ok flashing kaosfroyo right now....hoping its not gonna kill my phone

12. nicktk1

did nandroid though

13. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Nick,

Don't want to threadjack here, but did you do any wipes before flashing?

I didn't want to confuse things by my comment above about not needing to wipe before you did a Nandroid restore, but you do need to do the wipes before flashing a new ROM (especially a Froyo ROM).

14. nicktk1

Holy s*** it works

15. kobel1up

Great to hear.:D It's always a point of relief when things work. Now if you like everything to work try out XtrRom 4.6, fast, reliable, and peace of mind. Froyo is a great rom just not my style.

Need anything else just ask, there aren't many smart a$$ people on here anymore. After the leak thing blew over and the leakers getting root, they just left. Everyone on here is friendly and helpful.

Enjoy.:D