• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't wanna pay 30 for data

rp31

Lurker
Jul 18, 2012
I don't feel like paying 30 bucks a month any more for a data plan. Verizon however requires that if you have a smartphone you must have a data plan.

How do I root my phone and then change the internal specs so that Verizon doesn't know it's a Rezound, and it acts like a dumbphone?

Apart from it being fraud, I am pretty sure it is impossible to 'change the internal' specs of the phone.

That said, there are data plans cheaper than 30 bucks. My SO is on a $20 300mb plan on my old Incredible. Before that they VZW agreed to take data completely off the phone. She could still use it with WIFI and if she happened to use 3g for any reason they would have charged per mb. She left data off and was content for couple months like that. She decided that she would like to get work emails on phone when she is at court, trainings, etc and that is when she talked VZW into the $20 a month plan for 300mb.

If it were me I would go with 10 bucks more and get the 2gigs but 300 is more than enough for her so we save that 10 bucks.....

Just wanted to throw a couple different options out there for you. With the understanding that fraud is not acceptable to even discuss I will open this thread back up and edit the title.

Thanks for understanding

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Come on, this is not even close to fraud! Get a spine!

You own the device. You only want to make phone calls with it. You will not be stealing cellular data. The carriers only have this rule, NOT LAW, to force everyone who wants a modern phone into their data plans - the only place they make money anymore.

If Verizon will accept a device on its network and charge you only for what you use, where is the fraud?

Upvote 0
Come on, this is not even close to fraud! Get a spine!

You own the device. You only want to make phone calls with it. You will not be stealing cellular data. The carriers only have this rule, NOT LAW, to force everyone who wants a modern phone into their data plans - the only place they make money anymore.

If Verizon will accept a device on its network and charge you only for what you use, where is the fraud?

The fraud would be in intentionally cheating/fooling VZW (or any other carrier). And what the OP was asking (root and changing the phones unique identifiers) was/is fraudulent.

Thankfully there is a completely legal way to handle that, it's called honesty :)

VZW WILL work with you and allow you to have a cheaper data plan

Edit: even though YOU own the phone, you still signed a contract. That gives them the right to set some of the terms of its usage

I think smart phones should be like my iPad...i have the option of using my wi-fi to download data...or i can pay month to month for a data plan.

I paid full price for my ipad...and would pay full price for a phone if that could happen.

You have always had that option. If you get a phone without using an 'upgrade' you can add and remove data plan at will, I know, I've done it. There is nothing to stop you from doing that.

Even if you get a phone through an upgrade they may work with you. As I said before my girl's phone is on a $20 300mb plan and before that was on a 'pay as you go' data plan where she only used wifi...

Upvote 0
Sprint will also do this if you're month to month after a contract is up. I didn't have to pay the extra 10 bucks for premium data when my wife activated my old hero, because it wasn't with a 2 year agreement. You could also check out the pay as you go, option from Verizon. They have smart phones with monthly data packages. Usually around 50 bucks or so.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... This is news to me as well. Perhaps the Eris will get a new connection after all. My 8-year-old niece should have a cellphone. She's a latch-key kid and lives too far away from the next family member's house to walk. It would be awesome if I could hook her up with a plan where we could at least see where she's at if she doesn't answer the phone. I worry about her a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones