Don't wanna use push for emails (save battery)

Last Updated:

1. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Follow these steps and you could save yourself the hourly push for emails. (This works for GMail). It sends you a text alert everytime you get an email. Most of the time in a matter of second. I used this method on my iphone to save battery life from email pushing.

- log on to you gmail account
    - click on settings on the right top corner
    - click on fowarding and pop/imap tab
    - in the fowarding section click the "foward a copy of incoming mail to (at this point enter your 10 digit phone number@text.att.net)
    - click save changes

you will now recieve a text message whenever you get an email. So all you battery hoggs can keep your push off if you want.

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

POP and IMAP use very little power. They're more reliable than SMS too. SMS sometimes get dropped and disappear.

3. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

Interesting workaround, however I could make a laundry list of other things I'd rather give up than push...I guess it just depends on where your priorities lie.

4. MikeyMike01

MikeyMike01 Well-Known Member

Isn't the point of Push to save battery life? So it's not checking the server constantly for no reason?

5. BigCiX

This option gives u the ability to not have push on at all. Just a little battery saver option fire people who would like it.

6. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

What makes you think receiving a text message isn't more battery consuming than receiving a push notification?

7. MikeyMike01

MikeyMike01 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And who wants emails going to texts? Then you have all that crap cluttering your text inbox, and duplicate messages.

The premise is silly.

8. kkeo

kkeo Member

How about turning push off all together and forget getting sms for emails, that takes energy too. If getting those emails were that important, you'd probably wouldn't mind the inconvenience of having to charge your phone once a night...

The push function itself isn't going to use much battery at all, it's the amount of email you're receiving that has an adverse effect on battery life. If you're getting less than 10 emails a day you probably won't see a difference. If you're getting about 50-100 emails a day (welcome to my world) it'll probably effect your battery life since it's downloading all those messages.

Fetching email might actually use more energy because you're polling the server at a set interval.. So, say you set your interval at 15 mins and in a span of two hours you get one email, you're hitting that server eight times, as opposed to push which only had to access the server once. Yes the push function was sitting there waiting for a ping from the server but that's all it's doing and is very efficient about it.

9. BigCiX

ok....for all you one sided minded people. When your phone pushes it waste the battery. Doesn't matter if its a little bid or alot...it still saves battery power. As for duplicate emails. You get a text message with the heading of your email. So if the email is not important u don't have to check it right away. So it's not cluttering up your email. I don't know why people are bashing when it's a helpful tip. Then you have the next person agree with the idiot that posted the first smart @ss comment.

10. aminaked

Just because someone doesn't agree with you it doesn't mean they're being a smart ass or that they're bashing you. I wouldn't forward to sms because:
    -email uses very little power
    -email is more reliable
    -email is free
    -email doesn't cut off the message
    -email let's you get attachments
    -email let's you reply

...and that's just off the top of my head. But do whatever you want. Keep thinking up these ideas.

11. BigCiX

It's not replacing emails with sms. It's a text that lets u know when u have an email.

12. aminaked

Oh, ok, so you're replacing imap push with sms push. That might theoretically save a bit of battery power. Still:
    -sms costs me money
    -sms isn't as reliable as email
    -your method requires tedious extra steps (clearing the sms notification, opening the email app, manually refreshing the email client, waiting for the messages to download). All of this takes extra time for your display to be on and that's the biggest battery hog.
    -wifi uses less power than 3G. Sms only comes via 3g. Email notifications can come via wifi.

Your method might actually use more power. If it saves any power, it is a negligible amount and definitely not worth the hassle for me. The fact is, email (pushing and polling) use very little power. I'm not trying to be a smartass, this just isn't for me.