• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't wanna use push for emails (save battery)

BigCiX

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
California
Follow these steps and you could save yourself the hourly push for emails. (This works for GMail). It sends you a text alert everytime you get an email. Most of the time in a matter of second. I used this method on my iphone to save battery life from email pushing.

- log on to you gmail account
- click on settings on the right top corner
- click on fowarding and pop/imap tab
- in the fowarding section click the "foward a copy of incoming mail to (at this point enter your 10 digit phone number@text.att.net)
- click save changes

you will now recieve a text message whenever you get an email. So all you battery hoggs can keep your push off if you want.

email.jpg

When I used POP on my Android phone, it seemed to affect my battery life more than anything else... may have been something unique to Hotmail's pop server, but it was definitely affecting my battery life. Hotmails sucks too.

Hm, I use POP all the time. Some possibilities:
-you get a ton of mail or a lot of large attachments
-problem with the Email app. I use K9 which works great
-setting polling to every minute uses more power than to poll every 10 minutes (but not much more, in my experience)
-poor 3G signal uses a lot of power

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones