• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't want to charged data/gprs from your bill especialy in roaming??

You shoul do this:
go to settings > wireless & network setting > mobile networks > access point names > from left second soft button > new apn
You should configure new access point someone that doesn't exist
for ex. i wrote: Name: da; APN: gjk , save that settings and after that choose that apn for default. So after that in the home screen the letter E/H (which shows data transfer) dissapeared

Or how about use wi-fi? and disable the data with the icon in the settings app? the whole point of owning a smart phone like this is so you can go on the internet and surf and do things on the road you normally couldn't. I think I'm going to skip the next phone purchase and get a Droid tablet... viewsonic looks like they are going to put out a cool couple droid tablets pretty quick however the 10' one can't use the market but thats ok can just download them through my phone and then put the sim right back in the tablet... a little bigger then most would like for a phone but then again I'm looking for a all in one device... 3g calls surfing, tv shows / movies, games, gps, easy internet look up... I can't wait very soon they will be here!!! :D

Upvote 0
Ok richi rich :))) it's true I can't live without data on my milestone, but not everyone have to pay data transfer every month. This is the only side efects on whole android platform: I turn the app off but the app is still running in the backroud right??? I need to do more steps after every use of data to stop the protocol(to kill the app) because I want to stop the data transfer at the same time I turn the app off. At that moments I feel like I'm not having a control on my own phone. You can easy switch between the access points and you will know that you are safe :).
My battery holds from 1 to 1.5 days but now with this tip I prolong it for a half day so don't give black mark on this tip for someone can be very usefull

Upvote 0
Ok richi rich :))) it's true I can't live without data on my milestone, but not everyone have to pay data transfer every month. This is the only side efects on whole android platform: I turn the app off but the app is still running in the backroud right??? I need to do more steps after every use of data to stop the protocol(to kill the app) because I want to stop the data transfer at the same time I turn the app off. At that moments I feel like I'm not having a control on my own phone. You can easy switch between the access points and you will know that you are safe :).
My battery holds from 1 to 1.5 days but now with this tip I prolong it for a half day so don't give black mark on this tip for someone can be very usefull

Just use APNDroid, much faster and easier solution that the one you have thought about.

Upvote 0

So does my phone with data and wi-fi enabled all day. I don't use it much during the day but still can get a day and a half out of it. After aproximately 10 hours its around 70-60% every day after a full nights charge.

Upvote 0
Why not simply use your phone in airplane mode ... that way you'll get even more battery life out of your phone ... oh wait, that disables your phone calls as well. DAMNIT, I knew there was a catch somewhere. /sarcasm

As most people suggested, there is a button that disables data while roaming and there is also a button that disables data altogether AND there are apps that disable your access points so doing it by hand is kinda "middle ages" style.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones