Don't want to delete Gmail messages when deleting them on my phone

Last Updated:

1. reneke

reneke New Member This Topic's Starter

To clean the inbox of my HTC I often erase all messages. However, this action is synced to gmail and erases the messages. I don't want that; I want them to stay in the inbox (forever)

Is there a setting that disables the sync action?

Rene

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

AFAIK not without disabling email delivery. You could enable POP access and set it up as a POP account but that has its own caveats.

3. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

You can use a third party email app, such as K-9 (free in the Market) to read your gmail. It can be set so that it does not affect gmail that is on the server.

I agree with takeshi that I don't think it's possible with the stock gmail app.

jd

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

That's always been one thing I missed from my Blackberry. It would give you the option to delete on the handset only. Of course, It's not really that big of a deal anymore since I'm used to it, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it with the stock GMail app.

5. reneke

reneke New Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you. I don't use the default mail program any more. Instead K-9 mail ip up and running. As an extra I get all my e-mails from three accounts in my inbox (I missed that option with the standard mail program)

Only disadvantage is that I cannot access the inbox directly from one of the desktops (through widget) with K9. You always have to click the mail icon first. But if you think about it: it is the same effort: clicking or swiping.... So: no disadvantage

Gr,
    rene

6. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

Rene...you can add a shortcut to any K-9 account on the desktop

7. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I just move/change labels for the emails I want to keep but not delete. That just moves them to a different folder in my gmail account.