Dont ya just LOVE O2?

Last Updated:

1. TEK-WARRIOR

TEK-WARRIOR Member This Topic's Starter

I rung o2 today to ask them for the WAP settings for my desire, after explaining to the chap on the other end of the line, that my handset was bought from CPW unlocked and sim free, he told me that o2 do not do the desire sim free on PAY AS YOU GO so they do not have the WAP settings for the phone.

After i told him that HTC WAP settings are standard settings for all HTC phones so it makes no difference where the phone is bought, he decided to email me the WAP settings for 1 of o2's official contract HTC phones 'NOT THE DESIRE but the HTC SMART' for me to input manualy into my phone.

I now have 3G on my phone.

During my chat with o2 chap i asked him if it was o2 policy to withhold WAP settings from pay as you go customers, he asked me why i had asked the question to which i replied " Well o2 have the HTC DESIRE on contract"
    so why dont you send me the WAP settings for the desire, that completely threw him and at that point he rung off :D

Dont ya just love getting up the noses of customer support people? :cool:

Advertisement
  2. tanbe174

tanbe174 Well-Known Member

do you only have 3G or do you have HPSA too ? I didn't rang them but i got the settings for pay as you go on the internet and I got H coverage.

Had similar problem with O2 customer service before. Kept asking me why I wanted to cancel my contract. Told them O2 sucks.

3. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

I don't think it is just O2 that have poorly advised / trained call centre staff. I have had similar misfortunes with Orange and Vodafone in the past. I do find the terminating of the call early so infuriating though.

4. staz1000

staz1000 Well-Known Member

I bought my Desire SIM free, put my O2 SIM in and then during the start-up routine is asked me what network I was on. I selected O2 Post-pay (pre-pay was on the list too) and the settings were automatically enabled.

5. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

Always make sure that the first thing you do on any call is take the person's name, full name if possible, even if they say their name and you've heard it, just make sure you clearly say back to them "Sorry, did you say your name was Bob?" then use their name throughout the call to drive home the point. A lot of these people (and I know, I used to work tech support so I've seen it happen) play on the fact that they have no accountability so long as you don't know their name - if they realise you were paying attention they're more likely to stay on and try to help.

6. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

They are not doing it on purpose, its just that they are given no real training and can't really help beyond "have you tried turning it on and off again"? Again, not their fault.

7. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

No I understand this but then they should perhaps pass your valid query on to someone who is more trained and not cut you off instead.

8. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

Agreed.. that was a bit off.

9. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

Mine too. It even gave Tesco Mobile as an option :rolleyes:

10. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

Many times they're actually told not to pass your query up the chain. When I worked tech support for instance, we were discouraged from passing a call onto a supervisor (I think they said the caller had to ask three times to speak to a supervisor before we were allowed to pass it on), and we were actually told that we couldn't ever give out the number to customer services, even if it was a legitimate customer service issue.

In addition to this, people were penalised for spending too long on a call. The result is you get some guy with zero real training, maybe a week in a class dealing with customer handling skills and then a week on the phone with a buddy listening in (if he's lucky he'll have a script, we never did), who's scared he will get fired if he consistently spends too long on calls, unable to solve the problem but being told he's not allowed to pass it on to someone else. You're pretty much creating the perfect recipe for calls being terminated. The companies must know this happens, but it seems they largely don't care, because changing the system costs money.

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I have the HTC desire on contract from O2, and needed APN settings due to issues I was having. Unfortunately, unlike most handsets they do - they can't actually "send the settings" as they usually would in a message. They have to send you an email (and yes, you got it) which you have to manually add anyway.