• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Donut for Galaxy - usable?

what is your situation with 1.6 firmware (public votes)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
using 1.6 JB2.

pros:
- glad the unlock screen is working nicely
- nice to have the new android market
- have access to some 1.6+ apps like the new maps, gesture search and google goggles (although the latter is useless IMO)

cons:
- battery life sucks (it was never great on 1.5, but it's worse now)
- camera broken- seems to take pics but they appear in your gallery as a grey "x", so they never get stored. might be just me because i've not read anyone else having this problem
- it is extremely laggy and slow switching Activities and using the marketplace
- lots of force-close/wait prompts, particularly when returning to the homescreen
- missing copy-protected apps in marketplace but that's to be expected given that it's a leaked firmware
- low media volume (can barely hear it on the tube!)

looking forward to trying a new build because the lag is killing me, but will stick with it because it's good to have new market and 1.6 apps.

Upvote 0
using 1.6 JB2.
- battery life sucks (it was never great on 1.5, but it's worse now)
guess you've got the no-sleep bug? not having it, i'm getting brilliant battery life
- camera broken- seems to take pics but they appear in your gallery as a grey "x", so they never get stored. might be just me because i've not read anyone else having this problem
works fine for me
- it is extremely laggy and slow switching Activities and using the marketplace
- lots of force-close/wait prompts, particularly when returning to the homescreen
these are the only 2 cons compared to ik4 (my previous fw) for me - tho' i'd only use the word extremely in the context of downloading/installing apps from the market
also, haven't tested the volume thing yet - gonna do so tomorrow
- glad the unlock screen is working nicely
i wish they'd make it so that you'd only have to give the unlock button a normal, short press and nothing else to unlock the screen - it's not like it's gonna do any pocket-calls or anything since the screen is capacitive

Reactions: gastr
Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastr

works fine for me

oh how embarrassing- my camera wasn't working because i was out of memory. deleted some photo's and it works fine now :-/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones