• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Donut on Galaxy

Root doesn't help and the kernel source for the galaxy hasn't been released by samsung yet. The only way you'll get donut now is by making your own mix of the htc donut roms with samsung drivers and what not. From what I read, donut is quite different from cupcake in the lower layers so I doubt the current drivers in our current build could help much either.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if Samsung plans to release Donut or other future Android versions for this phone? As far as I have read, second hand, they don't plan to. It will remain an Android 1.5 phone.
It doesn't look like too probable they'll let the Galaxy an Android 1.5 phone. We are talking about a phone that is '3 months old', and even if there are plenty of problems with it, they are working hard to improve it.
If you were talking about Android 2.0, I'd have my doubts.

Upvote 0
To be fair to Samsung, they've actually been creating new firmware at least once a month, and with a couple of new handets coming with fairly similar hardware to the Galaxy, you'd expect them to be working hard on getting it ready.

Ideally we'd be getting OTA updates which would be the perfect solution to the crap that is NPS :D

Upvote 0
OTA updates would be great , but AFAIK thats only for full 'Google Experience' phones which the Samsung isnt.
To be honest Id be quite happy with a working NPS ...
OTA isn't just for google experience phones. Yes, only google experience phones currently have OTA support, but it's in no way limited to them. Google has the framework and tools to do OTA updates and it'll take quite a bit of work to create them elsewhere too.

I'm not sure if galaxy will support OTAs anytime soon, but saying that OTAs are just for google experience phones is wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones