• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dorid drops calls when switches to 3G

GuamBomb

Lurker
May 3, 2010
Cricket Moto Droid Flash User here.

I've had this phone for couple months now. The 1st month it was super smooth. Now it consitantly drops calls. Sometimes I can't even call out, the moment I hear the ring tone it drops.

Now, this is what I notice. When I dial out it's not in 3G, it just shows the bars. So when I am talking it's still has the bars and no 3G. BUT when the phone switches to 3G mode that's when it drops....It does that everytime, when it swtiches to 3G I get disconnected.

The Firmware is still 2.0.1. It asked to update to 2.1 and I said yes. It went through the process of downloading and shutting down but it's still on 2.0.1.

I tried switching the mode network type to EvDo for 1x service but it switches back to 3G and it still drops my calls....

Any suggestion? Anyone encounter this?

You said you flashed to another network?
I'm guessing that right there could be the problem.

Well the phone has been Flashed to Cricket. Everything was fine for a month now it's trippin. I had a blakcberry storm before this and that too was flashed to Cricket, it was a great phone, no problem at all. This problem with the droid makes me miss the storm so much lol.

Upvote 0
Well I don't know then. I never flash my phones because of crazy problems. And you can't exactly bring the phone in for service if your network doesn't even carry the phone. Unlocking/flashing phones to networks it wasn't designed for probably "trips" the phone out and sometimes might cause it to not function well.

Upvote 0
Well I don't know then. I never flash my phones because of crazy problems. And you can't exactly bring the phone in for service if your network doesn't even carry the phone. Unlocking/flashing phones to networks it wasn't designed for probably "trips" the phone out and sometimes might cause it to not function well.

I'm sure there is a fix for it. Someone has to know!!! LOL! It only happens when it switches to 3G from normal. There has to be a hicup going on there or something. Hmmmm?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I know why this is happening. 3G AKA EvDo is for data only (evolution-data optimized) and when you make a call it drops down to 1x. Now since your on Cricket I'm thinking the tower is letting you switch to 3G during a call and it shouldn't be. Now your saying "well this didn't happen before" and to that I say it's because when you accepted the update you most likely got the new baseband even though the rest of it didn't install, and the new baseband is what's causing your problem. To check this go menu>settings>about phone and scroll down to "Baseband version" if it says C_01.3E.03P then your on the new baseband.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I know why this is happening. 3G AKA EvDo is for data only (evolution-data optimized) and when you make a call it drops down to 1x. Now since your on Cricket I'm thinking the tower is letting you switch to 3G during a call and it shouldn't be. Now your saying "well this didn't happen before" and to that I say it's because when you accepted the update you most likely got the new baseband even though the rest of it didn't install, and the new baseband is what's causing your problem. To check this go menu>settings>about phone and scroll down to "Baseband version" if it says C_01.3E.03P then your on the new baseband.

Thanks for responding. I just checked it, I am still on the C_01.3E.01P ......?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones