Dotted Screen - How are you dealing with yours?

Last Updated:

1. mikegaudiello

mikegaudiello Member This Topic's Starter

First, this is not a diss, I ADORE my N1, and I'm not giving it up for anything, but I have noticed a small matrix of dots on the screen. Just chilled with my friend who didn't have this on hid Droid. I gotta say it's a shade disappointing, but not a deal-breaker; especially in the light of the AMOLED contrast and color looking so, so good on it.

How's everyone else feeling about the dots?

EDIT: Image at http://img.pchome.net/2009/08/28/105918.jpg (warning: 5.5MB) Zoom in and look at the G-Mail icon.

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

You're talking about seeing the pixels on the screen? It's sort of a by product from any AMOLED screen, but seemingly a bit more pronounced on N1s (compared to say the Omnia II or Samsung Rogue). That being said, the DROID screen is going to have a little bit of backlight bleed in between pixels (which also contributes to a bit of washout) so those gaps are less noticeable. The other thing is, in the same 3.7" diagonal, the DROID is packing an additional 26,000 pixels. In short, what that means is higher pixel density and in that way, a tighter pack. In responding to a similar question, it's like looking at a 42" 1080P screen compared to a 55" from 3 feet way. You're going to see more of the pixelation in the 55". Since you're looking at the DROID's screen and the N1's screen from the same distance (arm's length), you're going to notice it. The further away the N1's screen from your eyes, the less noticeable it'll be.

3. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

i think he is talking about hte crossing patern on the top of the glass. i see it to when i reflect it in the right light.

4. choffy21

choffy21 Well-Known Member

I'm probably mistaken, but those dots are to help cool off the screen; AMOLED screens get very hot.

At least, that's what I hear.

5. mikegaudiello

If that's true, they do any awesome job, my phone under heavy use NEVER gets as hot as the last phone I had, an HTC Touch Pro.

6. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

So it is a radiator built into the glass?

7. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Somebody should post a picture of this, sounds interesting. I wasn't aware that amoled screens produced that much heat.

8. JoeIndy

JoeIndy Member

I can't speak with any authority, but that doesn't make sense. AMOLED is noted for it's low power usage. In most electronic type devices, power leads to heat. So, it would make sense that lower power, means less heat.

9. blackberrycubed

blackberrycubed Active Member

i still dont get what dots are being referred here ? :confused:

10. meekrab

The OLED's are very low power, but they still use TFT switches for every pixel and these carry a strong current. I think this is where most of the heat comes from. Hopefully it's not too bad (Samsung manufactures these panels so I think it'll be ok) but heat is death for oled displays

11. rob61280

rob61280 Member

Does applying a screen protector create any problems with extra heat buildup?

R

12. meekrab

That's actually a really good question. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I would say no. Unless something explicitly says otherwise in the literature, but I don't own one so I can't check.

13. twilson13

twilson13 Member

I saw those dots today. It was when my phone was at an angle and the light reflected off of them almost making them look shiny. I don't notice them during normal use and I am not sure what they are for, but it doesn't matter since they don't affect my user experience.

14. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Seriously, nobody has identified this yet? That grid of dots is from the touch screen. The dots you see are spacers for the capacitive layer. The HD2 has it. Hell, my Storm has it. Not sure why the iphone doesn't have it. Different manufacturers, I suppose.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582734

15. meekrab

Thanks for clearing that up, sounds like it's probably HTC phones where they are most visible. I haven't noticed anything like that on my droid.

16. informale

informale Well-Known Member

No dots on Samsung Galaxy either.

17. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

they are not dots but a line in a crossing pattern. very unnoticable execpt in the right light and when you are looking for them. thin like a spider web on glass, not the pattern but the line. i tried to wipe it off when i first saw it.

18. SoCalMiles

SoCalMiles Well-Known Member

+1 My storm definitely has it. Interested on what exactly it does.

19. mikegaudiello

Guys, this isn't what I'm talking about. I'll have to take a pic and show you at some point. But I guess that sort of answers the question, no one even knows what I'm talking about so obviously no one cares since they can't see them.

20. tomtom

tomtom Member

I think the OP might mean pixelation.

BGR: "We didn’t miss the actual resolution in terms of having more room, but the DROID’s display doesn’t show pixelation like the Nexus One does, and just honestly seems like a better product."

He doesn't go into anymore detail.. can someone shed some light on this. Can you see pixelation on menu screens? How about during movie playback?

21. Neemo

Neemo Active Member

As I understand it, pixelation means that when you look at a picture from a screen, you can see the individual pixels that form the image.

What the OP is talking about is this I believe:
    [​IMG]

As for what they could be, I have no idea. Maybe it has something to do with the structure of the screen. I think they are only apparent in capacitive screens, at least I can't seem to make out anything similiar from my Touch Diamond 2's resistive screen.

22. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't have any dots????

23. sooper_droid12

Seriously, the N1 has dots on the screen like the HD2?

24. tomtom

tomtom Member

It's only in certain light at a specific angle... not even noticeable when the phones on so it makes no difference.

I don't think the OP was about that though. BoyGeniusReport says in there review there is some pixelation... I.e the screen is low quality as the images do not appear smooth.. can anyone confirm this?

25. sooper_droid12

I think there's another thread written by Tara-something or other who did a direct comparison between his/her DROID and N1 and confirmed that the N1's display was notably more pixelated than the DROID. I responded to him/her by saying the same thing I did in post #2.