• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Double lock screen

So if I set up the smart lock it will get rid of the first lock screen? The edge is all packed up ready to go back so of this is the case I may keep it

It will not get rid of the first "swipe" lockscreen, but it will get rid of the second, "pattern" lockscreen, unless you are in a location/situation that Smartlock was not setup for. In essence, when Smartlock is active and in a location that you have pre setup, you never see the second lockscreen

Upvote 0
I haven't paid attention but I set mine up to not have to unlock at home and work. I forgot where I set it up at. I remember on my HTC I could not have a lock screen but once I started using Samsung Pay I needed a security. But then it got marshmallow and I think I just double tapped and typed in my pin. I don't remember now but I wouldn't return this awesome phone over that.

Upvote 0
If it wasn't something so prominent I'd 100% keep it. But it obviously it got to the point where I thought I'd start a thread (that got joined with this one) on a forum as it was, what I think, a complete annoyance and a fix to a problem that I never encountered. As I said above I'll be stuck in contract with it for 2 years and in all honesty there's absolutely nothing wrong with my s5. I was excited to be wowed not trawl the net to see if something can be changed.

Upvote 0
On my S6, the pattern to unlock was on the first screen. On the S7, I have to swipe first to get to the pattern unlock screen.
Can the swipe screen be disabled ?
Hello! Welcome to AF :)
I've merged your issue into the existing thread that speaks of this. ;)
Cheers! Yup!

Short answer no you can't
Blah, that and the fact I don't think root is possible on this device (correct me if I am incorrect), I may have to re-think my next device decision:(

Anyway, yeah, merged threads :)
Carry on!

Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0
Hi all, I just got a Verizon Galaxy s7, im coming from a GS5.. One main issue i have is that I seem to have to take an extra step to unlock my phone, and I dont know why..
When I wake my phone it puts me on a screen that has the clock and then the phone & camera icons in the bottom corners, it says swipe screen to unlock... I have to swipe the screen just to now get to my lock screen pattern? My GS5 would just open right to my lock screen pattern... So why is there an extra screen now? Why do I have to swipe to unlock to then do pattern to unlock? Its extremely annoying, and Im just wondering if there is a fix for this or a way to get rid of the swipe to unlock screen?
Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I'll keep using my s5 until this is sorted by Google or a 3rd party does an app. (Like the not being able to turn off the touch light on the back and app keys)

Hey, I am sorry I do not have a solution to your unlocking issue, but hopefully you'll be happy to know you can actually turn off the capacitive keys with this app: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=galaxy button lights&c=apps

Regarding to the changes in Marshmallow... or changes in general, I kinda encountered a similar issue when upgrading from my S4 to the S7. Some of these changes still bother me, some of them I don't notice anymore... but I can imagine why this one can be a deal breaker.

However, the fact you use gloves, how is it not a problem when you input your PIN or draw the pattern, but it becomes one when you have to swipe the screen to get to the "2nd level"?

I would suggest 3rd party apps like "DynamicNotifications" or "AcDisplay" to substitute your lockscreen as long as you don't want to use the fingerprint sensor. DN looks great but developer is M.I.A. and some features need some work. I don't know much about AcDisplay, but give it a go!

Upvote 0
The other dumb thing is that they have kept the double home button to laugh the camera from the lock screen, so they are happy you can accidentally double tap the home button and launch the camera in your pocket but not for pin entry and I am sure 99% of people use cases now a days anyway so it sounds pretty lame as an excuse as to why you have double entry.
You can easily remove this "problem": Settings/Advanced Features/Quick launch Camera...

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Is anyone else experiencing the following issue with the swipe? Although I have set both a pattern key, as well as fingerprint, swiping the screen still unlocks the phone. This defeats the purpose of setting the first security obstacle. If I wanted to simply swipe the screen to unlock the phone, I would not have set medium to high securing settings.

1. Is this intentional?
2. How do I correct what I consider a joke of security?

Upvote 0
Is anyone else experiencing the following issue with the swipe? Although I have set both a pattern key, as well as fingerprint, swiping the screen still unlocks the phone. This defeats the purpose of setting the first security obstacle. If I wanted to simply swipe the screen to unlock the phone, I would not have set medium to high securing settings.

1. Is this intentional?
2. How do I correct what I consider a joke of security?

Go to:
Settings>Lockscreen and security>Secure lock settings>Smart lock>

And make sure you do not have activated any of these options, as that could be the main reason as to why you can simply swipe to access your device.

Upvote 0
I still don't know why I have to swipe to unlock than draw my patter at home or at work when I have it set up as trusted places. Do I need my location on so i t can recognize the place. I know I had to have it on to 1st recognize and put in the address but I usually don't keep it on unless I am out and going to be checking into places I turn it on the one setting in the middle with out the GPS.

Upvote 0
I still don't know why I have to swipe to unlock than draw my patter at home or at work when I have it set up as trusted places. Do I need my location on so i t can recognize the place. I know I had to have it on to 1st recognize and put in the address but I usually don't keep it on unless I am out and going to be checking into places I turn it on the one setting in the middle with out the GPS.
I'd say location on is definitely a must for those settings but don't quote me on it. Aside from that, I always keep my location on in any case: how are you going to locate your device if you lose it or something?

Upvote 0
Well I have location on now but not the one with GPS the middle one. But it still made me swipe to unlock and do my pattern at my house. I don't know my old phone had location always on and than GPS was a whole different setting which I only used when I was needed to find directions to somewhere. But this one i usually leave on the middle one without GPS just for location and checking in to places on Swarm. And at work I have no signal but am on wifi so it should work their too if i start leaving location on I'll try it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khayman999
Upvote 0
The new update did something similar to my phone. Now I have to Swype before I can attempt to unlock despite the fact that I have the fingerprint option set up. Also, for some reason one of the symbols on the first lock screen (so stupid) is on what appears to be Korean??? Wtf?! How do I fix this. I don't want this stupid extra lock screen. I'm attaching picture of the first lock screen. The symbol I don't recognize is right after the "5"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170518-213159.png
    Screenshot_20170518-213159.png
    960.3 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones