• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Downgrade 2.3.4 Gingerbread to 2.3.3 to prepare for root

Hello! I just want to make sure of something, does this work for the regular Incredible model? I'm guessing it does since it's just software but I couldn't find info about this elsewhere.

Thanks!

No, this will not work for the original incredible. Even though it's just software, the Incredible 2 software is not the same as the Incredible. Each phone has it's own root methods. You will have to head over to the Original Incredible's forum section and find the root method for that phone.

Upvote 0
So I've been wanting to go root on my Dinc2 since I got it, but installed the 2.3.4 update as soon as I got the phone so was kind of stuck. Found some tutorials on how to downgrade, but was really uneasy about.

But I hop back on AndroidForums for a night, and find this. Rocking 2.3.3 and S-Off now. :) Thanks for the simple and easy tutorial bro.!

EDIT: So I had not noticed because I was on WiFi, but I have no mobile network now. Doing a factory reset now, to see if maybe it was just a flook. Will update shortly.

EDIT2: The factory reset didn't fix anything. Anyone have any idea what may be going on?

EDIT3: Well I feel like a complete noob to the Dinc2. I had taken the battery cover off to do a battery pull and not put it back on. The cover has the antenna mounted on it. So yea, no back results in no service lol My bad.

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0
So I used the downgrade tool and it continually failed. The most likely cause of this is that I did not have all of my tools in the correct file paths...or something else that I cannot determine. I made this clear over at XDA: if your SDK, ADB and file paths are not setup properly, the vivow hack will most likely not work. My work-around was to paste each command...it worked for me, though it is more time consuming. Hope this helps. :D

jmar

Upvote 0
for some reason it runs then reboots then at the end of the script on cmd.exe is keeps stalling out at c:\android>fastboot oem reboot RUU
<waiting for device>

doesn't go past that point any ideas on what im doing wrong?
I had that problem until I reinstalled the drivers. Have you had any luck since trying the other day?

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I think I have my extracted folder set up correctly. When I run the program (hack-vivow.cmd), it goes to completion and the device restarts, but when I check the software version, it still says 2.3.4. I tried entering the code manually to see if I could find out where it is going awry. In the second to last step:

(c:\vwhk-12102011-c>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.
605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip)

I get this:
command.png

does this mean that "sending 'zip" failed? or does this suggest that an earlier step went wrong?

Upvote 0
Good morning,
I just received my Dinc2 on Monday and would like to root it so I can get rid of all of this bloated crap on it, but the RUU zip file that is contained within the vwhk zip is always corrupted. I downloaded it on 4 different machines with 3 different OS's(albeit they were all Winders - XP, Vista and 7), on two different networks.

Is anybody else having any problems?

Thanks,
Leonard

Upvote 0
Good morning,
I just received my Dinc2 on Monday and would like to root it so I can get rid of all of this bloated crap on it, but the RUU zip file that is contained within the vwhk zip is always corrupted. I downloaded it on 4 different machines with 3 different OS's(albeit they were all Winders - XP, Vista and 7), on two different networks.

Is anybody else having any problems?

Thanks,
Leonard

Ok, I think I know what's wrong, I'm just an idiot and my dog keeps trying to get me to play with him, it's very distracting.

Upvote 0
Just got a tablet so rooting my DInc2 was a must for the free hotspot.. this is a great guide, i'm a first time rooter and it definitely helped alot (especially the videos!)

A slight issue/problem I've had, perhaps it's my own fault I'm not sure. When I started the process I was on Gingerbread 2.3.4 with an assortment of apps, GoLauncher fully setup, etc. After I reverted back to 2.3.3 it was a completely fresh factory install....... Therein lies my problem. After spending several days researching I was under the impression that I could use Nandroid to backup my current phone's "image" for reverting back to previous if I wanted. It's too late now, but I wanted some advice because I plan on dual booting this phone (with Cynogen and HTC Default/Factory).

What did I do / Where did I go wrong???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones