• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Downgrade 2.3.4 Gingerbread to 2.3.3 to prepare for root

I read through and have tried all the tricks mentioned so far. but when I get to the line: "adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c 'data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'" i get a /data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied im running cmd as admin, the phone is is debug usb mode on, fastboot on the phone is off and on charge only mode. everything before this works. I'm really stumped.

edit: i tried bberryhill0's guide, but when i try to boot back into as root (step 6) it goes into a infinite boot loop and i just end up have to reboot to factory to get it to boot at all

Upvote 0
I read through and have tried all the tricks mentioned so far. but when I get to the line: "adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c 'data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'" i get a /data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied im running cmd as admin, the phone is is debug usb mode on, fastboot on the phone is off and on charge only mode. everything before this works. I'm really stumped.

edit: i tried bberryhill0's guide, but when i try to boot back into as root (step 6) it goes into a infinite boot loop and i just end up have to reboot to factory to get it to boot at all

I haven't seen bberryhill0's guide but I have a feeling I'm in the same boat.

Code:
tacoroot --setup
tacoroot --root
bootloop ensues

I've been getting out of it without a factory reset by using 'tacoroot --undo' when it comes up. It will act screwy the next time it boots but it settles down after a minute or two.

I've also been able to run the 'misc_version -s 2.18.605.3' and get:
Code:
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 2.18.605.3
Patching and backing up partition 17...

From there I was able to be quick and launch it into the bootloader. Trying to flash the RUU fails the version check.

Upvote 0
Will downgrading it delete everything on my phone? Like my messages and pictures and stuff?

Pictures are on your SD card, so not unless you wipe/format it in specific. Couldn't hurt to back it up to your pc first anyhoo.

Messages can be backed up with something like SMS Backup and Restore
*THEN back up your SD*

Upvote 0
Pictures are on your SD card, so not unless you wipe/format it in specific. Couldn't hurt to back it up to your pc first anyhoo.

Messages can be backed up with something like SMS Backup and Restore
*THEN back up your SD*

Thank you sooo much for the quick reply! Just backed up all my messages, and am starting the downgrade. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0
Capture.PNG

I don't know if this will help at all.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47.3 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
I have a very similar issue:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\android

c:\android>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxxxxx device

c:\android>hack-vivow.cmd

c:\android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\adb.exe copy tools\win\adb.exe C:\Windows

1 file(s) copied.

c:\android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinApi.dll copy tools\win\AdbWinApi.dll
C:\Windows
1 file(s) copied.

c:\android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinUsbApi.dll copy tools\win\AdbWinUsbA
pi.dll C:\Windows
1 file(s) copied.

c:\android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\fastboot.exe copy tools\win\fastboot.exe C
:\Windows
1 file(s) copied.

c:\android>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\sleep.exe copy tools\win\sleep.exe C:\Wind
ows
1 file(s) copied.

c:\android>adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*

c:\android>adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
300 KB/s (21215 bytes in 0.069s)

c:\android>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
859 KB/s (15837 bytes in 0.018s)

c:\android>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush

c:\android>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version

c:\android>adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00017118
[*] Scooting ...

Upvote 0
after running the "Hack-vivow.cmd" I am getting an error before it goes into fastboot mode.

Error being seen is below

c:\Android\vwhk-12102011-c>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc
_version -s 2.18.605.3'
/data/local/tmp/sh: permission denied
Hey bro, im not sure what you mean but I know i didnt get this downgrade method to work, the way i did it was to replace the zergrush temp root with the tacoroot file and pretty much following the same steps except when you boot into fastboot recovery with the adb commands, dont do the rest of the commands, but just go to i think its the bootloader section or whatever section that reads the android 2.3.3 file and installs. Hope that made some sense, but sorry if it didn't, it was a long time ago since i did this and it was my sisters phone, so i dont have much experience with the Incredible II. there should be a tutorial for the replacing over at xda forums if you google search it.

Upvote 0
Every time i click on the link on page one to download vivow, i keep getting this message:

File vwhk-12102011-c.zip has been removed. Please check your source for an updated link.

and then when I go to the xda developers forum, i end up with what my computer determines is a corrupted file and won't unzip it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones