Downgrade from 2.1 to 1.6

Last Updated:

1. camaro0011

camaro0011 Member This Topic's Starter

when i got my htc hero from someone, it had 2.1 on it, i want to downgrade to 1.6 so my MMS will work. and i want it to be legit, i can wait for an update.

Advertisement
  2. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

Err are you sure about your numbers there mate? I very much doubt your hero came with 2.1 as its not yet available.....

3. digger

digger Active Member

I thought it was available, but hasn't been officially released by HTC or any networks.

4. monkegeo

monkegeo Active Member

There are 2.1 ROMs around, but none seem to be fully stable and functional (as you have found). There's a guide to returning your phone to 1.5 here.

You need to run HTC Sync. This is easy if you've got Windows that is not Windows 7. If you've got Windows 7 or another OS, you'll have to search around the forum to find out how to run HTC Sync.

You could also just follow one of the many rooting and ROM guides (there's a sticky in the Hero forum) and apply Cupcake (1.5) that you can download from the above link.

5. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

Ah sorry, my mistake. I read the OP as you've just gotten a brand new hero from the store and it came with 2.1 installed.

Monkegeo is correct with his reply.

6. camaro0011

Ok, thanks guys

7. camaro0011

grr, i tried the link you sent, and i downloaded, and it started, but i got the customer id error, so i tried all the ones he said to try if u got that error, and i got a error on all of those to...

8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

If your Hero is running a 2.1 ROM then it must be rooted and have a custom recovery image installed. Check by holding HOME while powering on.... if I'm correct you should get an extensive menu of options with "Reboot ...." at the top. You can use that to restart normally. With this you should be able to apply a new 1.5-based ROM as an update.zip package rather than use an RUU.

9. camaro0011

how do i do that