• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Downgrade ME7 to MDK via odin???

I remember when the original update was pushed, a developer said that the ME7 bootloader wouldn't permit downgrading to a previous bootloader. I'm not sure about the rest of the firmware though.

Thanks for the quick reply! And of course bootloader is what is preventing installation of CWM, TWRP, etc. Is it possible to flash roms via stock recovery using /cache? Are any of the roms for the VZWs4 signed?

Upvote 0
The cache partition isn't big enough for full rom installs unfortunately. All stock roms from Samsung/Verizon are indeed signed which is how the bootloader knows to allow them to boot. If it reads something with an incorrect signature, that leads you to that error screen about unauthorized software and needing to go to Verizon to fix it. So the only way to do so is to either figure out what that signature is (next to impossible), or find someway around it.

Upvote 0
The cache partition isn't big enough for full rom installs unfortunately. All stock roms from Samsung/Verizon are indeed signed which is how the bootloader knows to allow them to boot. If it reads something with an incorrect signature, that leads you to that error screen about unauthorized software and needing to go to Verizon to fix it. So the only way to do so is to either figure out what that signature is (next to impossible), or find someway around it.

I didn't mean actually putting the rom into /cache...mind you I've only done this on my ZTE Warp (the S4 is my friends) but I have the rom on the sdcard and use ADB shell:
echo "boot-recovery" > /cache/recovery/command
echo "--update_package=/sdcard/myrom.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
echo "--wipe_cache" >> /cache/recovery/command
reboot recovery

Upvote 0
Ahh, that makes more sense. I know developers have been successful at getting devices roms installed on SD and running them successfully in the past. I'm not sure how practical this is now due to the device's security, but it certainly is a possibility. Though right now the focus is on Hashcode getting SafeStrap successfully working to at least provide something for the community.

Upvote 0
Ahh, that makes more sense. I know developers have been successful at getting devices roms installed on SD and running them successfully in the past. I'm not sure how practical this is now due to the device's security, but it certainly is a possibility. Though right now the focus is on Hashcode getting SafeStrap successfully working to at least provide something for the community.

Yes...I've been reading up on that. Thanks for the feedback/info...my friend was really wanting a custom rom; however, since he's on me7 I've only been able to get him rooted obviously. I told him it may be possible to flash a rom through various other methods...which is why I posted (to find out if anyone had done so)...but doing so is very risky without having a custom recovery in place.

Upvote 0
my ? is why would you want to attempt to flash a custom rom without having a custom recovery? safestrap I have just recently found and have been bound to moto devices and used on them and recently got a s4... still using twrp for the time being because it looks like you can only use touchwiz roms on it. recently found a carbon rom that is amazing for battery life but still probably will flash for safestrap this week.

I am pretty sure I have stock flash file will let you know that when i falshed stock via odin it would not install new update.

Upvote 0
my ? is why would you want to attempt to flash a custom rom without having a custom recovery? safestrap I have just recently found and have been bound to moto devices and used on them and recently got a s4... still using twrp for the time being because it looks like you can only use touchwiz roms on it. recently found a carbon rom that is amazing for battery life but still probably will flash for safestrap this week.

I am pretty sure I have stock flash file will let you know that when i falshed stock via odin it would not install new update.

At the time I asked safestrap wasn't functioning yet for the vzw sgs4...also as I stated I personally wouldn't want to flash a custom rom without having a functioning recovery...I was simply asking if anybody had tried other means of flashing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones