Downgraded to Remove Root, Can't Update to Froyo

Last Updated:

1. exoduster18

exoduster18 Member This Topic's Starter

I have followed every guide that I can find. I cannot get my phone to either receive the OTA update and I cannot get it to update manually.

This is the error that I get:

assert failed: file_getprop ("/system/build.prop","ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/inc/inc/inc:2.1-update1/ERE27/161494:user/release-keys" || file.getprop ("/system.build.prop","ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.2/FRF91/231334:user/release-keys

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

I had a stock Incredible that I rooted with Unrevoked3. I then ran Unrevoked Forever on it and then downgraded to remove root. I placed the 2.2 Update on the sdcard and went through the recovery menu to select it and then try to install it.

The above error is what I get everytime I try to update.

This is also the same error I got when I tried to accept the OTA when I was rooted (in my grogginess in the morning when I woke up and saw the OTA, I just kept hitting ok having completely forgotten about my phone being rooted).

I don't know much about coding other than the little I use to do with Java/C++/HTML in school, but what I am getting out of this is my phone does not like the 2.2 update file. I am assuming that it may have an MD5 Hash in verifying/installing the file that it does not like?

Can anyone help me?

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

3. exoduster18

So, after further research, I have determined that it is due to HBOOT being on .77 and not .79. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

4. GiveMeItNow

GiveMeItNow Well-Known Member

It's not because of hoot. I had .77 and still do. What method did you use to update, ruu, update.zip? Sounds like update.zip. maybe you should try the ruu.

Do you have stock recovery?

5. exoduster18

I do have the stock recovery. I tried to go the update.zip way of upgrading. What is RUU and how does that work? I've see RUU mentioned before, but I haven't read any guides or any info on it.

6. ZombiBlanc

ZombiBlanc Well-Known Member

Right here, bro: http://androidforums.com/incredible...nother-froyo-root-guide-glitch-free-love.html

7. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Did you remove any programs while rooted?

8. exoduster18

Actually, I did. I removed CityID. But that is back now....Is this what is stopping me from upgrading?

I called Verizon and HTC. They both told me that HTC has stopped pushing the updates out for the time being due to a glitch that users were reporting and that it would resume here soon. They reset me in their system and in the Verizon systems so that it will get pushed to me at a later date.

9. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

did you follow the link I posted previously? that IS most likely the cause of you not being able to upgrade, you have the wrong software version and you NEED to apply that update before trying to apply the Froyo OTA update. You get the EXACT error you are getting if you don't apply this update.
    Getting your phone ready for the FroYo update.zip! - xda-developers

and also this current post may help and also reiterates the need to apply the update that I posted in the link above BEFORE trying to upgrade to Froyo.

http://androidforums.com/incredible...nother-froyo-root-guide-glitch-free-love.html

exoduster18 likes this.
  10. exoduster18

This seems to have worked. Sorry I missed it before. I have the new splash screen, just waiting for the phone to fully boot.

11. ggaskell

ggaskell Member

I am having the same problem, and followed the instructions to a T.

-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/inc/inc/inc:2.1-update1/ERE27/161494:user/release-keys" ||
    file_getprop("system/build.prop", ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.1-update1/ERE27203589:user/release-keys"
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Insatllation aborted

12. dhays90

dhays90 Well-Known Member

Mine always failed to. You can try switching to a ROM like Virtuous which already has the update in it. Or just use RUU.

13. ggaskell

ggaskell Member

Want to be clear, the above error displays when trying to apply the May-OTA, renamed to update.zip on the root of my SD card. I have the ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.5 s=OFF (HBOOT .77). I am still at 2.1-Update1. Basebad 1.00.03.04.06 Build 1.22.605.0 CL161493.

14. dhays90

dhays90 Well-Known Member

You might try upgrading your HBOOT

15. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Have you tried the new RUU or the PB31IMG.zip flashed from hboot to update?

16. ggaskell

ggaskell Member

17. iowabowtech

I think this is when we were all trying to stay ahead of the curve though by using workaround methods. If you use the official RUU's, the updates should be included. I've never tried to go backward beyond a single RUU however so I'm not 100% sure if you can leapfrog 2 or more RUU's forward. My inclination is that you can but I can't verify it.

18. ggaskell

ggaskell Member

iowabowtech: I did PB31IMG.zip flashed from hboot to update. When you talk about RUU, are you refering to the exe's on shipped-roms.com?

19. iowabowtech

Yes, although they are the same means of transport, just a little different way to get to the exact thing. So it worked ok to flash all the way forward then using the PB31IMG?

20. ggaskell

ggaskell Member

Don't know, will let you know...:)

21. iowabowtech

Look forward to the update. Worst case, you can always use the previous PB31IMG file (initial Froyo), then the latest one that includes the Nov update. I don't THINK that will be necessary though. I'm hoping you can move all the way forward with the newest file (or RUU) alone.

22. ggaskell

ggaskell Member

Great Success! I used RUU to get to WWE 1.22.605.2 Radio_1.00.03.04.06 hboot_0.79 Release_161494, then waited for Verizon to shoot Froyo over the air. I now hear Drrroooiiidd. Now that I am fully updated, time to root again till the next OTA, though next time, I will go back to 2.2, rather than 2.1...:)