"Downgrading" back to 2.1 Leak?General

Last Updated:

1. bheller

bheller Member This Topic's Starter

I didn't find anything about this. I found the Leak (v1 + 3) worked fine, except for the Music app constantly crashing, which did present a problem for me...But what presents a bigger problem is how non-functional this phone has become, seemingly just since the 2.1 OTA. I have a garden variety of bugs discussed here, and between the silent bug and signal strength, the thing is very close to being unusable.

I've called *228 for the possibility of patches and done 3 factory resets. The possibility of barking about it and getting another one is there, but I haven't done it yet for various reasons.

Bottom line: Can I re-install v3 of the Leak over the 2.1 OTA for the moment and prevent it from updating?

Thanks,
    Brian

Advertisement
  2. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Um, have I missed something. I thought none of the leakers had received (or were going to receive) the OTA.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

3. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

I'm wondering the same thing. If you have the 2.1 OTA, you can downgrade to 1.5. Then reinstall the leak. But again, I thought none of the leakers received the OTA update...

4. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

why would you ever purposely go to the leak when the OTA is out???

5. bheller

I didn't. I caved and had the leak installed in April. But if, indeed, I have the update and based on the problems people are having around here, that may be a reason!

Hmmm...I couldn't tell you which thread, but after quite a bit of reading here (man, is it confusing!) I concluded that OTA was out (a week or 2?) and every was getting it, maybe not in one day though. I checked the thread where some research was done on build #'s, kernel versions, etc. and my numbers matched the OTA 2.1 numbers. My issues also match those who got the OTA update (can't say for sure there are no leakers, but I got impression those posting had waited). I'll try to take another look, but this has cost too much time already. Sorry, I didn't realize this was still in doubt. Thanks for the help!

6. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

Leak V3 and the OTA I believe are identical. The only difference is the HBOOT version I believe. That's why the same problems exist on both OTA and leaked phones. Did you get a software update notice that was about 77mb? If not, I'm almost 100% sure you DON'T have the OTA, and your leak V3 is just gone bad.

7. bheller

Well, I installed v3, worked fine. I think I did *228 and then it went to hell. Kept doing it & factory reset, no better (maybe worse). Then I started reading about all these other people with the same problem, and people had posted Verizon said leakers will get it...so I guess I made a leap somewhere in there...BUT...

This is the thread I was referencing:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/87118-reference-what-htc-rom-do-i-have.html

I have the kernel version of OTA, not 2.1v3 leak. For real. Maybe I should post over there?

Regardless, the thing is getting worse and close to useless now-- I get weird results when dialing out sometimes, built-in apps crash, silent bug, etc. Restarting didn't fix it for the first time today.

Should I re-apply the v3 update? Just assert myself for a new phone? Go back to 1.5 and get OTA? If it's not hardware then I don't want to go through the hassle of fighting with them, but it doesn't seem clear either way from what I see here.

Many thanks,
    Brian