Downgrading data plan on AT&T to use with N1?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OrangeGuutan, Dec 30, 2009.

1. OrangeGuutan

OrangeGuutan New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    So when looking at buying the Nexus 1 for use on AT&T, I thought about the fact that AT&T offers an unlimited $15/month data plan to non-smart phones (e.g., the Samsung Solstice).

Would it be possible to buy some crappy phone that would allow me to buy their $15/month unlimited data plan, get rid of the crappy phone, and use the Edge only data on the Nexus 1?

Advertisement

2. six2one

six2one Active Member

Dec 30, 2009
    interested in this as well....

i am going to use it on att for a short while to see how edge is on this device before i jump to tmob (i have 3g in my area but friends say it dies off quickly and 3 miles outside the city they have gprs)

3. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    louisiana
    hey O'm new here. I'm switching soon. to answer your Q yes, I've had that $15 unlimited for years on many unlocked phones. ATT has never done anything about it. There is a note on the paper bill that says... If you get caught doing this on a "smart" phone the can retroactively bill you up on it. Thing is if you want text that's another $9.99 unlimited. Still cheaper in the long run. I even tethered with it for a month when my neighbor moved and took his router with him. Nothing happened to my bill. ATT website lets you add or subtract any service you want without a phone call or going to the store. All you need is the SIM and an account. I really want to buy this new phone. I just don't want TMO. I'm thinking about doing it. My other HTC just broke a few weeks ago.

4. six2one

six2one Active Member

Dec 30, 2009
    im another one on this boat....

i currently am on a family plan with 4 lines and unlimited txting.

2 of the lines (mine) is a berry plan.

it would be nice to drop my line to the 10.00 a month for the line and then the data. my bill will go down roughly 80.00 a month if i was able to do this.

i use roughly 400-700mb a month with my berry without tethering. so i dunno if thats plausible to hide in the shadows with the 15.00 a month dumbphone plan

5. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    louisiana
    I'd be nervous to, couple months of that might trigger something.

6. six2one

six2one Active Member

Dec 30, 2009
    im really hoping that they do have something in the pipes for att as far as 3g frequencies. i really dont mind paying for my data. i would keep my berry plan active and just bounce between the two devices (i have withdrawal every time i dont have a berry, lol)

but if i can only have an edge nexus then i am going to be kinda sad paying for all that when i cant use much of it.

on the brighter side, the fact this will use edge may keep the data usage in check. i have noticed the last month that my itemized data usage went down since i have been using my berry on wifi...so that could also help.

7. summerboy18

summerboy18 Guest

AT&T version is coming out today!

8. six2one

six2one Active Member

Dec 30, 2009
    link?

9. six2one

six2one Active Member

Dec 30, 2009
    fail!

Tags: