Downgrading to 2.1 - QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. wildrage

wildrage Member This Topic's Starter

I've been running Froyo for about 3 weeks now, and I can't deal with the battery life. I was getting 1.5 days out of my phone on 2.1, and am barely getting 12 hours with 2.2. I know that 12 hours of life for a smart phone isn't that bad (I remember the world of the Touch Diamond and Palm Pre), but to me, the improvements Froyo has made isn't worth the compromise in battery life.

I want to downgrade to 2.1 and wait for them to get their acts together with Froyo.

The only issue that I'm having is Verizon trying to constantly push the 2.2 update to 2.1. I read about renaming a certificate file to .bak to compromise the upgrade, but then read somewhere else that doing so causes the update to be pushed over and over again, thus killing battery life.

Is there any stable, proven way to kill the update notification? I'm not rooted right now, but can root easily. I want to run Verizon's stock 2.1 ROM, not a custom rom. I love the custom roms, but I find myself flashing my phone every few days to newer versions, and it drives me crazy with backups and restores lol.

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

If you go 2.1, root, and stick with the stock ROM but load a custom kernel I THINK it would be sufficient to avoid the OTA nag. Not 100% sure, obviously a custom ROM will do it but since you don't want to go that route, this is another possible idea.