• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

download gmail attachment

crimton

Android Expert
Apr 1, 2010
TN
when i get a gmail with an attachment i can see the little paper clip telling me that i have an attachment and it will even tell me the size of the attachment but i cannot download it. it is not a clickable link. if i go to gmail on my browser it will let me start to download it but it always says download failed this phone does not support this file. its just a document, is there an app that allows me to download attachments such as this? the file was .ics whatever that is. but it has happened with other file types.

Reactions: AdmSuvvuk
I ran a few tests and I can't get it to dl attachments from browser either (had never tried).

gmail app does not allow for dl'ing.

mail app should.
so i should set up gmail in the android mail app or the htc mail app?

and how do i set up gmail in the mail app? as imap or exchange? what settings?

nevermind i think i got it. we'll see if it works for attachments.

ok it saved it but how do i know where it saved to it just gave me an option of sd or internal??

Upvote 0
This is a limitation of the Android OS. As much as I can tell, none of the mail programs allow you to download anything other than pictures. This is very limiting. Hopefully they update it soon =(

I have found that if you rename a file *.jpg, you can email/download it to your phone. Once downloaded, rename it using Astro and move it where you want. It is a pain in the ass, but it works. I tried it with a .wav file last night and it worked.

I can not figure out why Google would have this limitation. I have noticed their are some apps in the marketplace that allow for other file types to be downloaded, but I have yet to try them. Each seems to have limitations, like where they can be saved, and not being able to name the files. Very weird that an OS in the year 2010 would not have a feature as simple as email attachments.

Upvote 0
stock mail app will allow downloads (all types)
k-9 mail app will allow downloads (all types)

gmail app is the only attachment limited app.

Before I switched to K-9 , I would use the gmail app for "normal" email and had a filter to automatically send all emails with attachments to a dummy gmail account that I would retrieve thru the default mail app to have acces to the attachments.

Upvote 0
so i should set up gmail in the android mail app or the htc mail app?

and how do i set up gmail in the mail app? as imap or exchange? what settings?

nevermind i think i got it. we'll see if it works for attachments.

ok it saved it but how do i know where it saved to it just gave me an option of sd or internal??

"mine" downloads to SDCard/downloads

I think that is default (but I am not 100% sure.)

Reactions: crimton
Upvote 0
Update:
My two friends have Astro. You can send emails directly from their ... any file type. Though, for only God know why, I can not. I have Astro too, but it will not send the attachment. It will send an email, but no attachment is their. My two friends do not have this problem ... Any ideas/suggestions?

Upvote 0
when i get a gmail with an attachment i can see the little paper clip telling me that i have an attachment and it will even tell me the size of the attachment but i cannot download it. it is not a clickable link. if i go to gmail on my browser it will let me start to download it but it always says download failed this phone does not support this file. its just a document, is there an app that allows me to download attachments such as this? the file was .ics whatever that is. but it has happened with other file types.

I had the same problem...try this....get into your gmail on the phone...menu>more>settings>send & receive>mail size limit>no limit......

I believe what is happening is that the attachments are larger than the default mail size limit, so its not opening them up. I did this and they now open fine...although they do seem to take a while...hope this helps!!:)

Upvote 0
I had the same problem...try this....get into your gmail on the phone...menu>more>settings>send & receive>mail size limit>no limit......

I believe what is happening is that the attachments are larger than the default mail size limit, so its not opening them up. I did this and they now open fine...although they do seem to take a while...hope this helps!!:)

that makes total sense now, the limit was at like 5 or 10kb. i've already made where i get all my email in mail now so as long as this works i guess i'll leave it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones