• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Download Google Maps to your device

I read in a forum somewhere that if you are using Google Navigation (I presume this is different from 'Google mapsM'), that it will push the maps/route down to the local device.

This was in a thread based on the topic of the possiblity (likely in longer trips) of losing network access while trying to use navigation.

If this is not the case, then using Googl Nav for longer trips will not be the best of solutions for navigation.

Upvote 0
You need to find a GPS nav app that stores maps locally if that's what you're looking for. Google Maps Nav isn't the only option out there.

If the comment in the other thread I read that Google Navigation will download maps is inaccurate, then you are correct. Fact is, even if it does, I'm not sure how much it could expect to download.

I am currently using TomTom on my Tilt and while I like it, they don't officially support it on the phone, and US maps are hard to get for some reason. I will for sure be looking for something different once I get an Android phone. Have been hoping the Google Nav will work, but if no downloads, then maybe not good enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones