• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Download high quality voice file?

Last week, a pop-up window came up a few times asking me to download a high quality voice file. I canceled out of this because I had no idea what it was and now it doesn't come back and I'm still not sure what this was for.

I kept being offered only a US English high quality voice download. Not impressed. Even if I can speak American English if I have to. I don't want my phone speaking American English. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Last week, a pop-up window came up a few times asking me to download a high quality voice file. I canceled out of this because I had no idea what it was and now it doesn't come back and I'm still not sure what this was for.

What is this for?

Thanks.

It won't come back, unless you access it from Samsung apps and go to "purchased" where it will show it again for free. It is a high quality voice for Text to Speech (TTS) and S-Voice. It is odd that Simon_Gardner was offered the US English version. Mine was definitely an English, UK version :

Screenshot_2013-10-31-10-56-41_zps443d8d94.png

Upvote 0
OK I think I got it manually and it downloaded but I can't for the life of me tell whether it's activated nor can I find any menu item saying "Install voice data".

It should have downloaded and installed straight after. I have no idea where it puts them on the device (I think you would need to be rooted to find the .apk anyway). S-Voice is a little clearer perhaps, but other than that a bit of a waste of time and space. Incidentally S-Voice had an update this morning itself. It is now version : 11.2.2.0.25716 (r1). I eagerly downloaded thinking it would have the functionality from it's settings I last had in my SGS3, no such luck.
I can report that it is less sensitive and will not open unless spoken to.

Upvote 0
It won't come back, unless you access it from Samsung apps and go to "purchased" where it will show it again for free. It is a high quality voice for Text to Speech (TTS) and S-Voice. It is odd that Simon_Gardner was offered the US English version. Mine was definitely an English, UK version :

Screenshot_2013-10-31-10-56-41_zps443d8d94.png

I don't use S Voice, though how is TTS on the Note3 used?

Upvote 0
This is somewhat part of the S Translator, but I'm not sure if the settings affect 100% of the speech across the system.
To change voice setting, go into Settings>Controls>Language and input>Text-to-speech options>Preferred TTS Engine Cog Icon and then press language.

The other two options are for selecting normal or HD voice for each language, and below that you can sample/download the HD voices.

Upvote 0
This is somewhat part of the S Translator, but I'm not sure if the settings affect 100% of the speech across the system.
To change voice setting, go into Settings>Controls>Language and input>Text-to-speech options>Preferred TTS Engine Cog Icon and then press language.

The other two options are for selecting normal or HD voice for each language, and below that you can sample/download the HD voices.

Installed S Translator and booted it.

Settings>Controls>Language and input>Text-to-speech options>

Turns out I have the UK-English HQ installed as suspected. Not that I've noticed any improvement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones