Download high quality voice file?Support

Last Updated:

1. kathayes

kathayes Well-Known Member

Last week, a pop-up window came up a few times asking me to download a high quality voice file. I canceled out of this because I had no idea what it was and now it doesn't come back and I'm still not sure what this was for.

What is this for?

2. metsnfins

metsnfins Active Member

I know it happens in maps
  3. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Well-Known Member

I kept being offered only a US English high quality voice download. Not impressed. Even if I can speak American English if I have to. I don't want my phone speaking American English. :confused:
  4. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

It won't come back, unless you access it from Samsung apps and go to "purchased" where it will show it again for free. It is a high quality voice for Text to Speech (TTS) and S-Voice. It is odd that Simon_Gardner was offered the US English version. Mine was definitely an English, UK version :

Simon_Gardner and bjtcars like this.
  5. Simon_Gardner

OK I think I got it manually and it downloaded but I can't for the life of me tell whether it's activated nor can I find any menu item saying "Install voice data".
  6. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

It should have downloaded and installed straight after. I have no idea where it puts them on the device (I think you would need to be rooted to find the .apk anyway). S-Voice is a little clearer perhaps, but other than that a bit of a waste of time and space. Incidentally S-Voice had an update this morning itself. It is now version : (r1). I eagerly downloaded thinking it would have the functionality from it's settings I last had in my SGS3, no such luck.
    I can report that it is less sensitive and will not open unless spoken to.
  7. stanw

stanw Well-Known Member

I don't use S Voice, though how is TTS on the Note3 used?
  8. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

Google Now, Google Maps, Hands-free mode, other apps can use it...
  9. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

I just finished installing Samsung TTS HD US English and I can hear an improvement.
  10. Simon_Gardner

Making a phone call?
  11. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

This is somewhat part of the S Translator, but I'm not sure if the settings affect 100% of the speech across the system.
    To change voice setting, go into Settings>Controls>Language and input>Text-to-speech options>Preferred TTS Engine Cog Icon and then press language.

The other two options are for selecting normal or HD voice for each language, and below that you can sample/download the HD voices.
  12. Simon_Gardner

Installed S Translator and booted it.

Settings>Controls>Language and input>Text-to-speech options>

Turns out I have the UK-English HQ installed as suspected. Not that I've noticed any improvement.
  13. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

You should make a YouTube video demonstrating all the voice recognition/TTS capabilities of the Note III.