Download problem.General

1. Airhead_Phil

Airhead_Phil New Member

Hello guys and girls, I'm new here and would appreciate some help...
    I have been sent, on a number of occasions, files that come through on my text page as a download box. When I click on 'download' the little scrolling bar appears and it says it is downloading but nothing ever appears. I can go to my downloads list but there's nothing there. Am I doing something wrong or not leaving it long enough to do its job? The one I'm currently trying to get is 236KB - how long should that take?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Cheers, Phil

Advertisement
    :
  2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Welcome to the forums Airhead_Phil. Are you connected to WiFi or downloading with your carriers data service? also What do you mean by pops up on your text page?
  3. Airhead_Phil

Airhead_Phil New Member

Hi D.P.Bobby
    I get a (yellow, incoming message box) in my sms messaging in tray as if it is a text from one of my contacts. It says :

Message size 238Kb
    Expires: 08:25, 27Nov
    Download

The word 'Download' is on a button which, when I click on it, disappears, a scrolling bar and the word 'Downloading' appears. It stays like this for a couple of minutes then reverts to the Download button. I would normally guess that it had done its job by then but I don't have anything to show for it.
    I AM connected to wifi but would assume that it would be loading via my mobile (cell) provider as it comes through as an sms/text messaging
  4. dontpanicbobby

A 236KB file would take about 1 or 2 seconds probably faster to download either way. I wouldn't download anything from a text message if I wasn't sure of the sender's intentetions. I mean why would anyone send you a text message you have to download instead of read? Send a message back or call them to verify they really sent it.
  5. Airhead_Phil

Airhead_Phil New Member

I DO know the sender and what the message should be. It's a pal of mine who's son is struggling with some college maths questions and he's trying to send me them as I'm pretty good at that sort of thing and I want to help him out.

When I send long text messages they change to mms when they are over a certain size. This didn't happen with my old Nokia but just went as multiple texts. Perhaps that sort of thing is happening to incoming messages too, though THIS one is definitely a separate file.
  6. dontpanicbobby

Why not have him send long messages to you via email? That whole download thing sounds really dodgy to me.
  7. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

It may be coming in as a file type that the messaging app can't open too. I'd ask him to send it as an email.
  8. Airhead_Phil

Airhead_Phil New Member

Thanks guys. I have indeed got my pal to email me the file so the problem has been circumvented this time but it's not the first time this has happened so probably won't be the last either. I'll drop into the local phone shop and see if they can help get to the bottom of this.
    Meanwhile, thanks for your suggestions.
    Phil