Downloaded a new ringtone and need help setting it up as a default ringtone

Last Updated:

1. sandman512

sandman512 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Trying to help a friend with his Droid. He downloaded a ringtone from the Verizon site and he is trying to set it up as his "RINGTONE". Can someone please walk me through this. Thanks much!

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

You need a Folder on the SD card called Ringtones. Put the downloaded file in there, then you should be able to select it from the OS.

3. sandman512

sandman512 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Noob here to ANDROIDS, so could you talk me through the process? I did see that he downloaded it and it is on his phone. Not that it matters, but I hopefully get me Android next week.

4. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Easiest way is to put the phone in Mass Storage Mode by pulling down the Notification shade from the top of the screen when the phone is connected to USB cable with computer.

Then use a file explorer/manager window on your computer to make a folder on the sd card called Ringtones. Look for the downloaded ringtone, usually in the Downloads folder. Move or copy the file to the Ringtones folder.

Disable the Mass Storage Mode, disconnect phone from computer, then go to Menu, Settings, Sound and Display, Phone Ringtone, select ringtone.

5. arelunde

arelunde Member

Here's how you add ringtones and notifications from your computer...

USB connect your X to the computer, open the SD card on the screen.

Then look for the EXISTING folders as follows...

Media > audio > notifications (OR) ringtones

Drag and drop your ringtone or notification into the appropriate folder. That's it.

6. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

There are two possible aspects to the question. One is getting the file onto the phone and the second is assigning it as the default ringtone.

If the file is already on the phone then to set the default ringtone open Settings then select Sound and Display. Next, select Phone Ringtone. Any file on the phone that could be a ringtone should appear as a choice, select any one and it should play. Once you get the one you want for your default ringtone select Save.