• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Downloaded a photo sent from an Iphone 5

swczarno

Lurker
May 2, 2015
So i received the file on May 1st at 5pm, says in my chat logs.

I saved the file to my download folder and clicked details and the date it gives me is 4/30/2015 at 7:46am
maker apple
model Iphone 5

I was wondering ...does this mean the actual photo was captured on 4/30 and not sent to me until may 1st at 5pm.

So i received the file on May 1st at 5pm, says in my chat logs.

I saved the file to my download folder and clicked details and the date it gives me is 4/30/2015 at 7:46am
maker apple
model Iphone 5

I was wondering ...does this mean the actual photo was captured on 4/30 and not sent to me until may 1st at 5pm.

That's the EXIF data which is embedded in the photo itself. It states when the photo was taken (assuming the iPhone's clock and calendar were correct), and also has what camera device was used to take the photo, maybe has other information as well, like exposure, aperture, focal length, GPS location, etc. That information was not changed when the photo was sent to you. There's a file time/date as well, not embedded, which should be from when your phone received the photo. That can change if the photo is copied, transferred, edited etc.

Sometimes embedded EXIF data is stripped from a photo when you upload them to some social networks, like GPS location data for privacy reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones